Collapsed Lifter

Old 05-03-09, 08:19 AM
Collapsed Lifter

I have a 1998 Chevy K1500 1/2 Ton 4WD Pickup w/ 305 CID V8 Engine. The lifter periodically makes lifter noise, but not all the time. Is there anything I can do for a collapsed lifter?

Thanks,
Joe

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-09, 07:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Back in the "good old days" an oil change often solved the problem - at least for a while. I'm not a fan of additives but there may be something out there to free up the check valve so it doesn't bleed out and give you the flat tappet sound.

Old 05-09-09, 07:20 PM
Lifter

Im like golstar on the additives but you might try Seafoam. Then start changing the oil more often.

Old 05-09-09, 08:40 PM
Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
I'm not a fan of additives but there may be something out there to free up the check valve so it doesn't bleed out and give you the flat tappet sound.
Half a quart of trans fluid , mixed into the oil willl usually free things up......You didnt state the mileage on the truck, but 1996..its probably up there....If this is a low mileage engine, it probably isnt driven enough, and the lifter TAP, for all intensive purposes , should be considered normal.

I agree with the rest of the bunch......So dont make a habit of the "MIRACLE IN A CAN" type fixes....and definitely shorten the Oil change intervals.

Search this Thread