Nasty Sparkplugs and gas in a cylinder

Old 05-03-09, 11:16 AM
Nasty Sparkplugs and gas in a cylinder

My car runs rough at idle. After fixing some vacuum lines I decided to pull out the sparkplugs. Since it runs rough at idle, I didnt expect them to be clean. Two of the plugs looked fine, but were covered in thick black soot. I cleaned them and reinstalled. The third one had a little gas on it, but inside the cyinder was damp, just like the previous two. I cleaned that one and reinstalled it. The last one was soaked in gas and there is a little in the cylinder!!!! I cleaned the last one and re installed it, leaving the gas inside of the cylinder. I think that the last two that had some gas on them, might have had the plug wires switched non intentionally.....what do you think. Could the plugs be bad, they are platinums, and idk how old. I dont see anything but a tiny hole in the center of them. No platinum sticking out.....idk if there should be.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-09, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gas on one plug/in the cylinder may be just from how the engine shut off.

Did you confirm the correct firing order?

How does it run now?

Hole in plugs? If you do not have any electrode sticking out, either every plug got damaged from perhaps detonation or cam to crank timing out of whack, or these plugs are those specialty type that fire spark around the perimeter? Can you give us a brand name and number printed on these plugs?

Old 05-04-09, 08:53 PM
i dont know the exact numbers but they are platinum plugs, and i thought in the center there should be a little bit of platinum sticking out a bit, the timing is definetly off, but it could also have bad plugs, were going to mess around with it thursday and ill get back with the results

Old 05-05-09, 04:20 AM
The vacuum leaks would cause uneven mixture and distribution problems which would foul the plugs.
I would put new plugs in and connect a vacuum gauge.
Or pull the new plugs again after 20 miles and see how they are burning.
Plugs wear out. So do ignition wires.
To have that much gas in he cylinder is stange and not good for the engine. It is "washing" the oil from the cylinder walls which will take out the rings and other stuff depending how much is in the oil pan

Old 05-05-09, 06:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Soadaman View Post
i dont know the exact numbers but they are platinum plugs, and i thought in the center there should be a little bit of platinum sticking out a bit, the timing is definetly off, but it could also have bad plugs, were going to mess around with it thursday and ill get back with the results
You going to try to find the same type plugs so you can see how the old ones are suppose to look when new? However, looks are not everything. You can have a plug go bad and not see it. However, I'm curious in your case, regarding the description of the plug, as to how it really should look. How many miles have the old plugs been in there for?

Sometimes when you are in doubt, and if say you hate to buy new plugs if they really do not need it - if say you have a suspect problem on one cylinder, you could swap around plugs from a cylinder that looked like it was running correctly, and then run it that way for a for a bit, to see what results occur. Same with the plug wires, if they can reach, in their new location.

Can't wait to hear again from you.