1994 Ford Taurus LX

Old 05-12-09, 09:54 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1994 Ford Taurus LX

Hi. I was hoping I could get some advise. I am not able to slide the key into the ignition. I have tried the original key and a few spare keys as well. There seems to be a blockage. No - no key has broke off inside. It was fine the last time I drove it. (I am the only driver) I did turn the key to the point where the steering wheel is locked and now I am not able to fully slide the key in. I can slide just the tip of the key in then it will go no further. Is there anything I can try short of going to a mechanic?
Thank you.

Old 05-12-09, 02:52 PM
L
I sort of had this same situation, I lost my trunk key and had to call a lock smith to come and cut me a new one, he advised that he could cut ONE key to do TWO jobs,
he cut one side of the key to fit the trunk, then cut the other side of the key to fit the ignition. don't know if this is your case but turn the key over and see if it will insert then...

good luck and have a great day

Old 05-12-09, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Sounds as though the switch has failed internally; your car is certainly old enough for that to have happened. My guess is that you are going to need a mechanic (and probably a tow truck ).

Old 05-13-09, 09:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The switch replacement is a possible DIY but it can be a royal pain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: