low budget upgrades

Old 05-14-09, 08:14 PM
low budget upgrades

im getting a 2001 dodge ram 1500 3.9 v6, 5 speed. Im kinda in a money pinch now (as im sure alot of us our). im in a tech college and working full-time. anyway, im a tinkerer so i have to be doing something to my vehicle. I was hoping if any of yal had some neat, low-budget, upgrades i can make to the truck. some of the things on my list already was a cold air intake and an custom exaust system (extra tubing laying around work). i have 265/75/r16 bfg all terrains from my last truck im swapping on it also. any ideas next?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-09, 02:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You might want to try a tank or two of 93 octane. My car is night and day different between reg and high test. However not sure if this applies to newer Dodges, but back in 1990 models, they ran like garbage on it.

Old 05-15-09, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator
I wouldn't spend too much time or money....I had that V6 in a Dakota..it was barely adequate, though I was able to tow my wifes car from Seattle to VA on a dolly.....slowly.

Doesn't it already have an intake down at the grille/headlight? Seems mine did.

Old 05-15-09, 04:08 PM
Also, people get confused with these intakes, and the companies do not advertise them correctly. A true cold air intake takes fresh air directly from the outside. Most intakes sold are really "warm" air intakes which suck up warm air from the engine compartment. You could actually lose power installing a "warm" air intake.

Can you find a truck with a V8? That V6, like Gunguy stated, will be pretty weak and probably worse on gas then the V8.

Old 05-15-09, 04:25 PM
If I remember right my 90 Dakota with an automatic trans got 18-20 mph on the 3.9L 6. With the 8 performance upgrades may be easier to find especially with whatever liter size the 318 is.

Old 05-15-09, 08:17 PM
ya i wish it was a V8. i already looked around for a decent used one i could rebuild before swapping it but none to be found. about the intake i am installing a "cold" intake, ive taken the bumper off and cut out a hole from it leading to the filter. im in the proccess of fiberglassing it smooth and then putting a couple chrome strips across it for asthetic reasons. the motor in it came out of a 2003 dakota cuz my brothers dad blew the old one up (he didnt get the whole, i got to maintain the vehicle for it to run, clause) lol. anyway basicly thr truck is in really good shape. im just trying to get alittle more power from it to compensate for the V6. and to add some personallity too