Air Bag light/Seat belt tensioner

Old 05-16-09, 11:21 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Bag light/Seat belt tensioner

The dealer tells me that the reason my Air Bag light is on is that the seat belt tensioner is bad and needs to be replaced.

It conveniently came on when I removed the computer to install an auxiliary power cable to a radio which came through the firewall behind the computer. I suspected that since I didn't remove the battery and dischage any residual voltage from the computer when I removed it, it simply started showing a fault that necessitated a reset. But, the dealer says it is due to a faulty seat belt tensioner. Can anyone confirm that this really could be the problem, and if it is, is it a DIY job?

Old 05-18-09, 12:34 PM
R
a fauly seat belt tensioner? hmmm... sounds like the dealer is pulling your leg. last time i checked the seat belt had nothing to do with the electrical system exept the sensor in the female end to see if it was connected or not. if your seat belt is working fine then that isnt the problem. try going to your local autoparts store and see if they can hook up a scan tool to help diagnose it. most stores only have flash readers so u may have to look around for a full scan tool

Old 05-18-09, 04:28 PM
Year make and Model?????

last time i checked the seat belt had nothing to do with the electrical system exept the sensor in the female end to see if it was connected or not.

Check again....

In addition to the "Buckled or Not " switch, there may be an Explosive device in either the buckle frame or retractor assembly to tension the seat belt during Bag Deployment.

I work for Chrysler, and these are very common items to fail on our full sized models.

Also...FYI, In no WAY SHAPE OR FORM, is there , will there or ever has been, ....A RESET procedure for AIR BAG WARNING LAMPS.....If the light is on, its on for a reason, and while the light is lit the bags are disabled. There is a "Monitoring" program in the control unit that detects disruptions in the operating environment. when a disruption "Ceases to exist" , the bags are re-enabled, and the light turns off.

PLEAAAAASSSSSEEEE tell me you didnt flip the module upside down when you removed it??????????

A generic scan at a Parts store will do you
absolutely NO GOOD....In most cases Air bag Diagnostics can only be performed with the Factory issued Tools and equipment.

Old 05-18-09, 08:09 PM
R
unc... rethinking what u said your right. i do remember now that the air bag system is different from the regular diognostics. forgive me if i sounded naive, lol, im still kinda learning the whole electrical systems in vehicles. im only 19 and in school for it also. i know a good bit and have plenty of expirience with mechanical issues but dealing with coputers and whatnot i still have alot to learn

Old 05-18-09, 09:16 PM
Not at all.......Thats what the were for....

Old 05-22-09, 09:31 AM
M
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Year make and Model?????

PLEAAAAASSSSSEEEE tell me you didnt flip the module upside down when you removed it??????????
It is a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500. I only loosened the bolts securing the device to allow a little room to maneuver my hands to the fire wall. No wiring was disconnected. It moved only slightly from its secured position.

As I understand it, when the air bags deploy the seat belts retract the occupants securely to the seat back to minimize the seat belt injury during the collision.

Ok, with this update, is the diagnostic reasonable and is it a diy job?

Old 05-22-09, 05:58 PM
If the diagnosis is correct, then yes , Minimal skill is required to replace it.

Just a word of warning.......The Little orange "Locking Tabs"..Use a VERY SMALL..( Preferably Jewelers Screwdriver) tool to pry it out. It will pull out maybe an 1/8 inch and thats all. IT MUST BE REINSTALLED WHEN YOURE DONE.........

I could be wrong, because I dont have one in front of me at the moment.....But I believe the " Pretensioner" assembly is an Integral part of the RETRACTOR, and not the reciever / Buckle...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: