windstar running rough

Old 05-19-09, 04:32 PM
windstar running rough

I have a 99 Windstar that had vacuum leaks in the upper plenum. While I was changing it, my son dropped a bolt down further into the intake. Soo... I took that one off and fished the bolt out of there.. I replaced all the intake gaskets, etc. The check engine light is not on anymore but it runs rough when it is put into gear. When it is in park, it runs ok. I'm not sure what I need to do. Any ideas on why it would run rough now? I took it for a drive and it ran fine at higher speeds but when I stopped, it ran rough.. almost like it wants to die.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-09, 05:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Check the vacuum connection on the pcv valve.

Old 05-20-09, 04:42 AM
The valve connection was tight. I pulled it while it was in idle and stuck my finger on it.. had quite a bit of suction to it. I seem to be able to hear a hiss but I dont know how to pinpoint it. A mechanic that diagnosed the check engine light used a smoke machine to find the leaking gaskets but I dont want to take it back to him and pay more in diagnostic. Is there a good way for me to pinpoint where the leak is?

Old 05-20-09, 06:03 AM
Sure..... A poor mans smoke machine....

Grab a friend who Smokes. Take the rubber hose off of the throttle body and cover the Throttle body with duct tape. Remove a Vacuum hose..(PCV works well) from an ACCESSORY, and Have the friend "BLOW SMOKE" into the intake chamber thru the disconnected hose. Where the smoke comes out is where the leak is.....It may take a few minutes, and a few "BUTTS" but if its leaking vacuum, the smoke will come out.

Old 05-20-09, 07:05 PM
Well.. I found a buddy of mine had a scope. He took the thing around the lines and intake gasket areas but didnt hear anything. He noticed that the engine was shaking like a "son of a gun" and suggested changing plugs and wires. It shook even when we move the throttle to give it gas.. The van has 103000 miles and still has the original plugs and wires. Would bad plugs and wires cause the van to lose idle and run rough when I put it in gear? I am going to change them anyhow because they should be anyhow but wanted to see if you guys think that could be causing this.. any thoughts?

Old 05-21-09, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Absolutely it will cause poor performance throughout the range. At 103k it's time. Let us know if that helps.

Old 05-22-09, 05:28 AM
Changed the plugs and wires. Coil pack looked clean as I checked each one with a flashlight while I changed the wires. It still runs rough as can be. It doesnt run rough in park.. only when i put it in gear and it has a load on it. Where can I go from here? Appreciate all your help guys!

Old 06-08-09, 12:37 PM
Thumbs up

Sorry.. I never posted the followup to this one. I was double checking all of the connections and found one of the injector wires wasnt snapped all the way on. Ran as smooth as can be once I pushed it together all the way . Thanks for all your help..

Search this Thread