engine will not turn over

Old 12-07-08, 04:59 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry engine will not turn over

i have a 1994 Buick Lesaber the engine will not turn over for nothing but all the lights in dash board light up when the key is turn can someone help me out before i go crazy in Texas

Old 12-07-08, 05:17 PM
F
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
could be the starter could be the engine is seized. does it try to turn over but doesn't. do you hear a clicking sound when you try to start it or nothing at all.

Old 12-07-08, 05:30 PM
C
get a hammer and bang on the starter a few times.

Old 12-07-08, 07:41 PM
what sounds do you hear when you attempt to start it. any clicking sounds or whining sounds? have you checked the battery voltage?

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 12-07-08, 09:03 PM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Buick wont start

Do the headlights dim when you hit the starter? If they dont look and see if your key has a chip in it( I know 93 did not sure on94) if it does get a tooth brush and some dish soap and clean it good. RW

Old 12-08-08, 07:42 AM
M
Do not go crazy yet

Do not go crazy yet more info is required before the folks on this fourm can narrow it down.
It could be a simple thing like a loose battery cable or it might be something like a bad starter.
More tests like the dimming of headlights when key is turned etc.
When you bang in the side of the starter two people help one to turn key and one to bang at same time.
Get a tool called a multimeter very good to have for electrical problems on cars as well as in the house.
Have you tried a jump start?

Last edited by michael van; 12-08-08 at 07:49 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 12-08-08, 10:20 AM
S
they have check the starter and it works as for the battery it brand new

Old 12-08-08, 10:27 AM
S
and no sounds when the key is turn

Old 12-08-08, 10:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Need to check for voltage at the starter itself. You can have a brand new battery and brand new starter and if the power isn't getting down to the starter nothing is going to happen.

Also check in the fuse/relay panels to see if there is a starter relay that could be bad.

Ignition switch also a possibility.

Old 12-08-08, 08:51 PM
G
is your security light flashing on the dash when you try to start it. these vehicles have a key chip system, you might have a broken wire in the steering columm , if there is a light on. there is a easy way to test for it. this is very common

Old 12-09-08, 04:28 AM
W
Does the starter engage at all, yet not turn over the engine??????
These cars were GREAT for having leaks in the plastic intake manifold that would hydro-lock the engine.
If the starter sounds like it's TRYING too turn the engine, pull the plugs and see if it cranks then...........and if a gallon of coolant is ejected

Old 12-13-08, 11:49 AM
G
hydrolocked?

Originally Posted by wrench47
Does the starter engage at all, yet not turn over the engine??????
These cars were GREAT for having leaks in the plastic intake manifold that would hydro-lock the engine.
If the starter sounds like it's TRYING too turn the engine, pull the plugs and see if it cranks then...........and if a gallon of coolant is ejected
The Riviera I posted about yesterday was supposedly hydro-locked. Before I removed any spark plugs I removed the serpentine belt, (after I disconnected the battery:>), I was able to turn the engine crankshaft quite freely using a socket and a breaker-bar on thecrankshaft bolt.

It turned out that the car was not hydro-locked. The serpentine belt was bound-up by the AC compressor pulley that couldn't rotate because the AC compressor had siezed therefore not allowing the crankshaft to turn under the power of the engaged starter. The starter, in turn, also siezed from excessive heat generated from repetitive attempts to crank the engine on this car.

Old 05-20-09, 02:02 PM
G
Thanks everyone, for your input!

The problem with this Riviera was Bad fuel pump, bad starter, bad knock sensor, bad oxygen sensor, cracked crankshaft position sensor...and now I've purchased a new Harmonic balancer for it, though may not need it, for the rough-running condition I associated with a cracked C.P.S./H.B. disappeared this morning while traveling down the road, but the engine still hesitates and loses power at about 3900 rpm and kicks back in at about 3500rpm. This hesitation becomes a steady fluctuation when I keep the pedal -to-de-metal and causes me to think that my present problem is in the injectors, rather than the harmonic balancer.

Any suggestions? I scan the motor and get no codes, so I think it may even be more of a mechanical problem like timing gear/chain (106,000 miles); rather than electrical, since I get no codes.

Beer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: