Check engine code p0510

Old 05-20-09, 06:39 AM
Check engine code p0510

I own a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero sport, 3.0L, with 62k miles. A few months ago the truck would stall at idle. I found what I believe is the throttle control screw and adjusted it to raise the idle and all worked fine. Last week the check engine light went on. I went to AutoZone and found code P0510.

Definition:
BB Accelerator pedal position (APP) switch circuit.
Probable cause:
BB1. Open or short circuit condition
BB2. Poor electrical connection
BB3. Faulty APP switch.

I know little about cars but enough to get by. I do not know where or what the APP switch is.

Any suggestions?
Where can I find an online diagram of the engine components? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-09, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
I looked it up as:

P0510 Closed Throttle Position Switch Malfunction

This will be located on the engine very close to where the throttle cable terminates at tthe throttle place.

Probably not a good idea to have moved any adjustment screws. On many newer cars the idle speed is not mechanically adjustable even though you may find something that looks like an adjustment. Whether or not that caused the current fault would be a question for a pro, so hopefully one will chime in.

Low idle could have been something as simple as crud on/around the throttle plate. Fix for that would be to remove the flexible duct immediately upstream of the throttle plate and reach in with an old tootbrush and some carb cleaner and clean things up - both sides of the throttle plate and the surrounding throat.

If you register on Auto Zones site (since they were nice enough to read your codes for free ), you can access repair info on your car.

Old 05-20-09, 04:59 PM
Thanks. I cleaned the carb and put the adjustment screw back the way it was. so far so good.

now down to the real problem.. I found the throttle adjustment sensor. no loose wires. the part cost about $100.00. how can I tell if this part is the problem?

Old 05-20-09, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
Did AZ happen to reset the light when it was on before? If not I would get it reset to see if it comes back before going any further. Check the repair section at autozone.com to see if there is any test procedure for the sensor. Beyond that probably going to need professional help.

Old 05-20-09, 05:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by BENS View Post
Thanks. I cleaned the carb and put the adjustment screw back the way it was. so far so good.

now down to the real problem.. I found the throttle adjustment sensor. no loose wires. the part cost about $100.00. how can I tell if this part is the problem?
Your car is fuel injected, no carb.

Here's a document I found that has a short troubleshooting guide to testing the TPS. It's the very last page.

http://assets.fluke.com/appnotes/aut...e/beatbook.pdf