premptive strike if necessary

Old 05-21-09, 09:56 AM
premptive strike if necessary

Hello
My neighbor has a timing belt question; he does not have a manuel so he does not know when to change the ?timing belt /chain. It is a 2004 Pathfinder Armada LE.
He has tried to get some info on this car but w/o the (manuel)Bible, the timing chain/belt info is impossible to obtain.
Many cars had timing belts(60 K), then chains were reintroduced(90 K). Some vehicles with chains are (110K).
He has 57K on this car and would like to hold on till the last moment.
Is there any way you can find the Magic # of miles for us?
It would be based upon the chain vs. belt as you would know better than us?
The last time I fiddled with cars there was a condenser and points in the distributor and the voltage regulator was in the was apart from the generator.
Thanx for you help! WOW, those 40's were fun.
Look froward to hearing from you.
Regards,
Grampy Pete

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-09, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator
As far as I know...timing chains (which according to Autozone.com is what he has) never need routine changing.

5.6L engine right? I believe thats all they put in.

Oh, and any dealer should be able to print out the manufacturers recommended maintenance interval.

Don't fall for the "Dealer Recommended" stuff...its just extra money in their pocket and has nothing to do with warranty.

Old 05-21-09, 03:32 PM
chain

Hello
Let's hope we get a few more hits re: date for chain replacement from manufacterer not dealer
How could I look that up ?
Thank you
P.S. My little Corolla has a timing chain and it indicates 90k.

Last edited by peterr; 05-21-09 at 03:33 PM. Reason: information
Old 05-21-09, 04:22 PM
In all the years Ive been doing this, I have never seen a Replacement interval on a Chain......

Old 05-21-09, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
From looking at the autozone site..(I know not always a great reference)..they say "remove the engine assembly" as a first step...huh?

I'd drive the thing off a cliff first!

Come on mechanic dudes...where are ya?

Old 05-21-09, 05:15 PM
Group Moderator
I'm on board with diezel; I've never heard of a replacement interval on a chain.

For timing belts, Gates has an excellent on-line guide at The world's most trusted name in belts, hoses & hydraulics | Gates Corporation

Old 05-21-09, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
From looking at the autozone site..(I know not always a great reference)..they say "remove the engine assembly" as a first step...huh?

I'd drive the thing off a cliff first!

Come on mechanic dudes...where are ya?
Start Drivin towards that Cliff..........

I did a chain on a Ford explorer, and there is what was called a "Chain Cassette" which bolts to the ----BACK OF THE ENGINE

Im not surprised by anything anymore.

Old 05-21-09, 08:23 PM
eh if it has a chain dont mess with it. theres no point. unless it breaks (which is unlikley) theres really no reason to change it. as for a belt those are alittle easier to fiddle with. i would guess every 80 - 100k or so on those. dont hold me to the milage suggestion tho

Old 05-23-09, 12:12 PM
timing belt

Hi Guys.
The neighbor I am trying to help is from the Philipines and English is not his first language. So it is taking me a while to getting back to you.
1- The dealer said while installing the transmission they could tell his timing belt was good and replacement not needed.
I am not current but I thought you could not tell a new one from and old one. Maybe they said your belts were good meaning a/c, and belts running off the crank.
They said no chain for 2004 so at 57K he should have belt changed unless times have chaged to the point where you can eyeball good from worn.
2-I tried to open the link to read the manuel but could not open any of the files; I have Adobe Reader 2009 istalled.
3- I still have not concluded whether it is a chain or Belt and don't want to see him go wrong as he is a real good neighbor/family.
4- When the dealer turned down work by saying the belt was ok I got suspicious.
*If it is a belt he should change it unless we can rely on the dealer saying when they eye balled it, it was good.
If it is a chain, we leave it alone?
I guess I will leave it alone after your kind replies and tell him to drive a round the block. Tht's likw my brother told me after my 7th decade, "Don't buy any any green bananas!"

Old 05-23-09, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator
Hmmmm I got a "threat detected" notice when I went to the site kestas posted...anyone else?

@peterr...the gates site (which is very reliable) doesn't even list the Armada. I'm sure it has a chain..I think the neighbor just had a mis-communication.

The dealer would NEVER turn down a chance to make more money. Every place I've been in the last 10 years has "recommended repairs/maintenance" on the invoices. Thats a good thing, since it kind of holds them responsible if something were to happen. Not all repairs/maintenance are required of course..but if they don't say"timing belt" replacement..just let it go.

Old 05-24-09, 11:16 AM
timing belt/chain

Hello
First, I made an error when I said my Corolla required a belt change at 90 k.
It is the Camry Solara with 3MZ-Fe that requires a BELT change at 90 K.
I too had a problem at Kestas site -have yet to run a/v and anti malware. etc.
You are right in that if Gates does not list a belt the car does not have it -I dropped the ball again on that one.
With all this and the other kind posts I will let my neighbor know he can breathe easier.
Thanx everybody for your patience and input.

P.S. GunGuy45 - We keep bumping into each other as I am always asking the questions and you are always providing the answers whether here or in another forum.

Last edited by peterr; 05-24-09 at 12:51 PM. Reason: content