Help needed with auto A/C

Old 05-25-09, 08:42 PM

I think I have a leak and have tested everything under the hood, but keep losing coolant. I think the problem is inside the vehicle. No clue how to check under the dash. Dont want to set off air bags.

1998 Dodge Ram SLT 1500 - 4 x 4 - 5.1litre - a/t

Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-09, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator
Mark
Don't know if yours is anything like my 98 Dakota was, but I'm guessing its pretty similar since we had the same engine. It's likely the coils in the heater box. Major PITA to replace.

I had the same problem and finally took it to a good shop. They found the above and a few other things I would need since it had been dry for a while. About $900 incl labor IIRC. I just sold it as is. I'd had the heater core replaced about 3 months earlier for $500, wasn't sinking anymore into it.

Old 05-26-09, 06:00 AM
I've got the same truck except it's an 01'. Sounds like the evap coil. Mine needs replaced also along with the heater core. I found step by step instructions on replaceing them by doing a Goolgle search. It led me to a Dodge truck forum. Pretty intailed but if you are mechanicle and have plenty of tools you'll save a ton of money. Other wise like said it will run anywhere from $1,000 - $1,500 to get it done. Do both while you're in there.

Old 05-26-09, 06:04 AM
I understand what you are saying, but I just bought this truck last fall from my mom and the truck is in great shape. I cannot afford to send it out to have it fixed, and being mechanically inclined, I am sure I could fix it if I knew the particulars. If all else fails, I will have to drive it without AC

Old 05-26-09, 03:22 PM
Freon sniffer.

I have several older vehicles, some even with the R32 freon. It is a challenge to find leaks, but my solution to keeping the AC working in my vehicles is thus: Harbor Freight Tools sells a "freon sniffer" for 'bout seventy-five bucks, --sometimes cheaper on sale. It works on R32 and R134A (harborfreighttools.com). While it won't fix your leak, it will guide you to the leak. If it is under you dash it is probably the core, however, if you find the exact site of the leak it may be a connector or line that you could repair without the horrendous replacement cost of a new core.

Good luck

rebel

Old 05-27-09, 04:43 PM
type

Make a typo in my last post. Meant to type R12 not R32.

rebel