failed state emissions test

Old 05-27-09, 03:52 PM
failed state emissions test

I live in New York vehicle has failed state emissions test, didn't know engine light was on found out bulb is blown. The OBD2 codes that i failed for are P0303 Cylinder 3 misfire detected and P0440 evaporative emissins system. The plug an wire for #3 cyl look ok, what else could it be, there is no corrision on coil pack. What else could it be and Iam not sure about other code. Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-09, 05:58 PM
The wire may look fine but could still be bad.
I would try a set a OEM plugs and wires.

Old 05-28-09, 02:45 PM
1. replace plugs and wires, does not have to be OEM ones
2. replace fuel tank cap
3. pour can of Seafoam into tank and flush in with gas until tank is full. take her out on freeway for about half an hour fast drive.

if not, read what it says on the back on the failed emissions paper. here, you can spend $150 towards 'repairs of emissions" done by AES shop, and take emissions waver. good for 2 yrs.Beer 4U2

Old 05-29-09, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm glad we don't have emmission inspection stations here. Where you are - what time frame do they give you to get it fixed? And do they like red flag the vehicle so police can tell you failed it so that they can pull you over? And is it common to be pulled over and fined for emmissions violations? I wonder what the fine is?

Old 06-01-09, 02:04 PM
Iam in Buffalo New York, either untill your inspection is over due or till you are caught driving with an overdue sticker. I believe fine is around $100 the court costs, they dont red flag vehicle. Cops around here do alot of checkpoints so they are going to get you some way some how. This inspection is due yearly so is the safety part. To my knowledge there is no limit on what you can spend.

Old 06-02-09, 06:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
So what it boils down to then is they do not issue a sticker renewal and hence you are automatically expired on you old sticker?

If that is the case, then when you leave the inspection station, without your new sticker, you could be pulled over umpteen times by cops, in theory? And then you have to explain to each one that you have say 10 days (or whatever) to get the violation(s) corrected?

Old 06-02-09, 12:19 PM
They give you one ten day extenstion, after that you could get a ticket. Cops will let you slid a little bit probably, but I wouldn't push the issue.