control arms? Saturn

Old 05-28-09, 05:58 AM
control arms? Saturn

2002 Saturn SC1 coupe, belonging to my son. his girlfriend backed over something and according to a shop bent the rear control arm. right rear wheel is cambered out. they want $700 to fix and align. they have a new baby and no money, so is this something we can repair ourselves? I'm not familar with REAR conrol arms, just front? Can it be straightened or replaced? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-09, 06:30 AM
Group Moderator
Sounds awful pricey; I just did a look up and the part is $61.99 at AutoZone (assuming I'm looking at the correct part that's bent). Can't imagine the labor would be that much even including alignment. Possibly there's more than one part that needs replacing? Hopefully one of the Saturn pro's will enlighten us. You wouldn't want to straighten a part like that.

Old 05-28-09, 08:34 PM
i agree with tow guy. dont try and bend it back yourself. you will just have problems down the road. shouldnt be all that hard to replace. im not a saturn pro but i have done a couple of control arms in my day and shouldnt take more than a couple of hours (3 at most) in your driveway.

p.s. 1/2 inch breaker bar will do you wonders!!!

Old 05-29-09, 09:01 AM
thanks guys, got the breaker bar and a 265 lb son to pull it!
any thoughts on wether I need to remove the springs to drop the axle on the rear?

Old 05-29-09, 09:32 AM
independant suspension on the rear or one of those solid "bar" axles?

Old 05-29-09, 09:34 AM
if you can get a picture or the right rear suspension up i can give u a "rough" step by step on the project

Old 05-29-09, 10:09 AM
Group Moderator
I tried looking up diagrams on Auto Zone's site, but no luck. I can't imagine it could be terribly difficult. Don't forget the jack stands!

Old 05-29-09, 01:28 PM
I couldn't find a diagram either. Haven't seen it yet but don't think it independent

Old 05-30-09, 09:47 PM
ok well its basicly straightfoward work. just be careful with some of the joints as they might still have tension on them. and yes please, please use jackstands.