A/C Compressor Needed?

Old 05-31-09, 08:29 AM
A/C Compressor Needed?

Hi:
Exactly a year ago, I brought my 'Camry '98' to the shop because of weak-blowing a/c. At that time, a tech told me NO-need of A/C Compressor but giving a warning me to get it fix the next time with cost of around $1,000.

Now, the a/c works fine but a minimum level of cold/cool air coming from the vents even I put 'High/maximum.'

Should I bring it back to the shop, ... or else I should shop around to get a second opinion?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-09, 09:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm not an expert, but before shelling out $1000, it amy be a good idea to go somewhere else. It may just need a recharge of the r134a or freon.

Old 05-31-09, 09:43 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If it is putting out cool air, it doesn't sound as if the compressor is bad, but that your charge of R134a, like NOP said, is low. You possibly have a leak in the system, and most recharges have an indicator dye in them so you can detect the leak. That is not to say fixing the leak may cost a little money, but hopefully not $1000.

Old 05-31-09, 02:08 PM
Is this a lack of airflow or a not cold airflow problem?????......If the VOLUME of air coming from the vents is the problem, checking the blower motor/resistor/ switch is the direction to head......not the compressor. (also check for restriction in the plenum where the evap core and the blower motor live)
If it's a "not as cold as it used to be problem"........as stated, check for leaks......MAY be the compressor, but there are many ways refrigerant can find to get out of a system