Saturn Transmission Shifts Hard

Old 06-01-09, 11:09 AM
Saturn Transmission Shifts Hard

Hey all,

Ok I am not trans guys so hopefully I can get soe help. I am have 2002 Saturn SL2 with 1.9L single overhead cam. The transmission will shift through every gear but it slams into gear from park to forward or reverse. Then between each gear it revs real hig and it slams into gear so hard it chirps the tires. I dont think its a worn trans as there is not slipping and once in gear drives fine. I took it to autozone and they said there were no codes. The check engine light is not on either? Any ideas.

Thanks,

Brian

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-09, 03:29 PM
Group Moderator
If it was a 4L80E like in my wrecker, I would say input speed sensor (although the slamming between park and D/R would not fit the pattern). Probably going to need a professional opinion; any good independent tranny shops in your area? Beer 4U2

Old 06-01-09, 07:05 PM
It sounds like "Bang Shifting" which is fatal. You need to take it to a pro. Clutch pack issues are not for a back yard mechanic.

Old 06-02-09, 08:20 AM
Fixed

Hey all,

Just an FYI, I wasnt ready to give up and send it to a pro so I tore into the valve body last night to discover the high pressure solonoid had gone bad and actually shorted two terminals within the trans connector on the top of the transmission. I replaced the PCS and got a junk yard connector and wala. all better. Thanks for everyones input.

Problem solved

Old 06-02-09, 10:13 AM
Group Moderator
Good job; always nice to get away cheap especially on tranny issues.