Four snow tires and rims?

Old 06-04-09, 07:08 PM
Four snow tires and rims?

I have to repair (or replace or just keep it as is) a slightly damaged alloy wheel. I thought I would buy two new rims and put a pair of snow tires on on the damaged rim and and one of the other rims for winter use. When I went shopping, I discovered specialized winter packages of narrower tires and rims which seemed to make sense from a safety standpoint, but will hit my pocketbook a lot harder. Since I live in Ohio, the snow here can get bad fast, but 3 or 4 times a year is pretty normal occurance wise. I have always gotten by before with just two snow tires on the back. Should I buy a set of Four? I still wind up with a damaged rim (unless I buy Five) in that case. Any comments would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-09, 07:50 PM
well the professional suggestion would be to get new rims and tires for the winter. but for us everyday joes we cant just go out and buy new tires and rims without a nice hole in our bank account. if i were you i would stick with the way youve been doing it. two snow tires on the drive axle and chains on the other ones. (if needed) ive heard stories about them chewing up your tires bad. i live down south in louisiana so i dont have that problem hope it helpsBeer 4U2