1994 Dodge Caravan funky transmission

Old 06-05-09, 10:50 AM
1994 Dodge Caravan funky transmission

Hello,
I have a 1994 Dodge Caravan with a 3.0 six cylender engine. Auto matic with overdrive transmission.

When I bought it I bought it off of a mechanics mother and it was supposed to be in decent shape, it's not. The transmission seemed to be weak in reverse to begin with but I just figured it was a different vehicle than what I was used to so probably my imagination. As a few weeks went buy the transmissoin would pick a gear at different times and stay there so I figured the transmission filter was gummed up, I changed it and found that they had apparently changed it right before selling it too me.

When I had it open the filter was new, but the fluid wasn't burnt, no shavings inside of it, everything was hunky dorey but when I put it back together I hadn't fixed a thing, it's still not shifting right. Oh, and back to the reverse gear, I have had it at times since first noticing it being weak to be stronger and then the next time be weak again. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

I have thought about changing out the transmission but I'm not a mechanic and I'm disabled, afraid of getting it tore apart and never getting it put back together again. Any advice would be much appriciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-09, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
It sounds as though the tranny fluid and filter were changed right before the sale to get it to operate well enough to unload it. The fluid wasn't burnt because it was fresh; I suspect with some driving you'll get a noticably bad smell if you hold the dipstick up to your nose. I doubt this is going to be a DIY job and chances are any repairs may exceed the value of the van. Probably going to need a good independent tranny shop's opinion.

Old 06-06-09, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
It sounds as though the tranny fluid and filter were changed right before the sale to get it to operate well enough to unload it. The fluid wasn't burnt because it was fresh; I suspect with some driving you'll get a noticably bad smell if you hold the dipstick up to your nose. I doubt this is going to be a DIY job and chances are any repairs may exceed the value of the van. Probably going to need a good independent tranny shop's opinion.

Not exactly what I was wanting to hear but thanks, and I'm unfortunately pretty sure you're right. We have a mechanic around here that's pretty cheap and he's good, I might find a used tranny and have him put it in if it's not too awfully much (this guy only make like 30 dollars on a brake job). Thanks again.

Old 06-07-09, 03:16 AM
Absolutely Not a DIY'er job........

Trying to remove that trans outside of a shop environment , will result , at best in broken fingers, and severely shattered ego....

Unless it is "Lifted" on a hoist, there is no way to get the ground clearance needed to remove the unit....

If memory serves correctly, You have an Electronic "604", which , sad to say, was Junk from the factory.On a lighter note, The modern day version, isnt much better...

Old 06-07-09, 09:14 AM
That's what I miss about rear wheel drive, I've pulled those and replaced them like nothing. It's the front wheel drive that gives me such a fit. As far as a lift goes, yes, my brother has tripods and a chain fall so removing it after getting it unbolted wouldn't be a problem, it's just getting it disconnnected that would give me the fit.