95 VW Jetta power sunroof

Old 06-03-09, 01:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
95 VW Jetta power sunroof

My power sunroof wouldn't close totally today until I pushed down on the front wind deflector a few times. It wouldn't open afterwards. I used the allen wrench that was in the panel behind the switch, got it to the vent position, closed it, tried the other way. Now the back right corner is in but the back left side is open by about 3/4 of an inch. The front is in. I cannot turn the wrench anymore. Any advice on how to fix this or is this a take it to the shop would be very much appreciated since I euse the sunroof whenver it isn't raining this time of year. Have a good one all.

Old 06-03-09, 04:02 PM
B
Make sure there isn't a rock or debris in the track it slides in on. Other than that, I haven't a clue.
Good luck; hope it doesn't rain!

Old 06-04-09, 07:40 AM
Is there a way to open it so I can check for a twig or something of that nature? The hand cranking method isn't working very well if at all. Thank you much for any input.

Old 06-05-09, 08:35 AM
I bought a replacement switch at a yard today for $20. That didn't fix it. I jumped the contacts with a piece of wire and got a clicking noise, but nothing else. Any ideas on where to go from here? Thank you much for any input.

Old 06-05-09, 11:17 AM
B
I googled "jetta sunroof fix" and got this as one of the hits:
Volkswagen Jetta Sunroof
Another one with more help perhaps:
Volkswagen Repair: 95 Jetta II Sunroof, sec increments, hand cranks
Might try:
VWvortex.com
a site for VW help.

Might be useful depending how adventurous you are feeling.
If you only got a click, perhaps motor is bad or some part of the mechanism is stuck preventing operation. Might need to take it apart and find out. Question is, what do you do after you find out and the part is a day or two off and/or too much $s for the budget? Also, can you get it back together without a leak? Sometimes the dealer is a reasonable option.
Let us know how it comes out; I've two Jettas with sunroofs; the '06 had a problem but a new switch (warranty work) by dealer fixed it.

Old 06-05-09, 03:13 PM
I got it mostly shut except for an air leak above 65 mph, so I taped it up for now. It is raining here today, so I will wait until the weather improves. Thank you much, will check those sites later, gotta make dinner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: