trying to recharge my A/C system?

Old 06-05-09, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
trying to recharge my A/C system?

Well first off I now have a 3.0L Caravan.. but it appears the AC dont work.
Anyways what I have is that if I turn on the AC the light comes on the dash but the temp has no change. So the belt was removed and the Compressor pulley spins freely... but the clutch never engages even with the AC on or the system on full defrost.

So I assumed that it was low on gas... So i bought a recharge kit.. its a 134a system.. but do I have to use jumpers to kick start the compressor to suck the refrigerant in.. or does it automatically feed in to start it cycling. Since I assumed it was low gas it showed 5psi. ... I started to fill system with a seal and gasket repair canister which is equivalent to 16 oz of gas.. but I did this without the engine running.. as the instructions never told me to have it running.. so i added gas.. i moved guage up to 33psi.. with less than half a can.. started engine.. and nothing.??

Did I do this wrong and how should I go about doing this??

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-09, 01:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Sounds as if the pressure switch (where you jumpered it) is bad. Run the engine with the wires jumped where the compressor runs and see what temp comes in the cab. The engine should be running (according to the instructions on the can), the A/C set to max, and fan on max. while charging.

Old 06-05-09, 03:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dodge/Chrysler has had issues with their control panels, so I wouldn't count that out. The control panel would fail to turn the system on. Get a junkyard control panel and see if it fixes it, or pay for Dodge to hook the car up to their diagnostic machine to test it.

Old 06-05-09, 04:33 PM
ya i think confirming the switch is working is the next thing to check