1995 Toyota Pickup 22RE radiator blew up

Old 06-06-09, 05:26 PM
Exclamation 1995 Toyota Pickup 22RE radiator blew up

First off, about 5 years ago, a "good samaritan" threw cold water on my overheating radiator before I could stop him. I replaced the thermostat and put Stop Leak in the radiator to fix the little leak he'd caused.
Then I started having issues with the overflow emptying too fast and the engine running too hot. I knew I'd need more Stop Leak, but then one day I heard a pop and steam starting pouring out from under the hood.
When I looked at the radiator, it had blown out at the leak, actually bending out the top of the radiator.
What caused this? Why didn't the radiator cap blow off or the thermostat show any overheating? There was no warning about this at all before it happened. Thank god I was backing into my driveway!!
I have the old radiator out, but I have questions:
1) replace or repair radiator?
2) caused by leaking valve cover? (don't laugh - I read that somewhere else, and it is leaking)
3) caused by bad radiator cap?
4) something else I should consider?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-09, 06:19 PM
# 1.

Replace it if you have the plastic top. You can't fix it well enough to take the time to do it. Replacing it is best.

Should you, by chance have a metal cap - have a radiator shop do it and repair it.

#2. = No the valve cover didn't have anything to do with it.

#3. = Could have been a bad cap. But the normal pressure of the radiator would have been around 10 - 13 lbs. That may have been enough to blow a weak spot if the repair was affected by the heat.

#4. If the thermostat hasn't been changed in the last three years, I would replace it and the antifreeze with a good flushing.

If the cap was at fault the engine may have not overheated while it created the extra pressure. But it could well have been the normal pressure that blew apart the repair.

22 RE s, however, have had some problems with warping of the head. Since you have had some overheating with that engine you would have money well spent to get the head pulled and checked, especially if that is truck you rely upon for daily transportation.

Old 06-17-09, 01:55 PM
The radiator did have a metal cap, but someone stole it while I was working to earn money to get it repaired. Lesson learned - there's value in the metal. Someone had a good nite with the crack pipe on me.
Bought a new radiator cap when I bought the new radiator. Next expense will be a thermostat.

So, a warped head obviously isn't something I can do myself. Darn. Is there any way I can check for that? I was planning on replacing the gasket anyway, since it looks like it's leaking a bit.

New problem - now it won't start. I can compression start it easily, is this safe for the engine? Battery's fine, I had it tested. The book isn't very helpful. Is there a separate solenoid or is all one piece? Where is the starter? Can I rebuild it myself or do I need a shop to do it?

Old 06-17-09, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
No, you can't check for a warped head yourself. It's normally done by a machine shop while inspecting the head after removal. The starter solenoid is attached to the starter; I don't recall if a 22R has the starter on the left side or right. When you say compression start it, are you talking push/roll start? I'm assuming you turn the key and the engine won't turn over? Most often the starter itself doesn't go bad, it's the internal contacts in the solenoid which can be replaced for a fraction the cost of the starter.

Old 06-23-09, 06:46 AM
Yea, I'm push starting it daily now, since it won't turn over at all. I did have the battery checked, and it's old but has a good charge on it. I'm crawling under it today to take out the starter - it's on the passenger side and I'm told it's a ***** to get at. I found a guy who will rebuild it for $50, which is $30 less than a rebuilt one at Shuck's and 1/3 of the cost of a new one.

Old 06-23-09, 10:53 AM
Group Moderator
Toyota starters are pretty bullet-proof, but what happens is the contacts in the solenoid wear out. For the $50 he'll probably just replace them and you'll be good to go. Probably not a bad price; I think the contacts and plunger run about $30.

Old 06-24-09, 09:55 AM
Is there something else I should be checking before I pull out the starter? This would be the second time I've had to replace the starter or a part of it.