2002 Saturn L300 A/C

Old 06-07-09, 09:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
2002 Saturn L300 A/C

With my limited A/C experience, I do know that if the compressor isn't kicking on, and you jumper the connector off the pressure switch, you can "force" it to energize. HOWEVER, Saturn has a 3 pin plug. Any idea which ones would energize the compressor? My wife's L300 is without air, so I was going to charge it, but it shows 110 lbs of charge, or an overcharge state. The compressor won't kick in. I'm open to any ideas, other than driving 100 miles to a Saturn dealer. Thanks.

Larry

Old 06-07-09, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That isnt a switch...Its a transducer..... You cant jump it from there.

In the fuse panel will be a relay marked A/c Comp.....Remove it and jump pins 87 and 30... that should activate the compressor.

Old 06-07-09, 01:27 PM
Hey, Unc, thanks for the insight. I pulled the AC relay and jumped across 87 and 30, but nothing. On none of the relays in the box is there any appreciable voltage to ground. I pulled the one for the DRL's and one for the Horn, and only less than 1 millivolt to ground. I checked all fuses and they all were good.
Any place else to check or more advice will be gladly accepted. Thanks.
Larry

Old 06-07-09, 03:08 PM
Thats wierd.....all of those accessories run on 12 V.

I learned it this way ........

An 85 year old woman and an 86 year old man closed the drawbridge so "Mr Volt" could get from 87th street to 30th street....

87 or 30 should be a direct path to compressor.

Was the Key "ON"??????

Old 06-07-09, 03:31 PM
Key on, engine running. I'm going back out there and probe some more. I know I should have voltage at one of the terminals on the relay(s) , but don't. DRL's and Horn work fine.

Old 06-07-09, 05:58 PM
According to Haynes, terminal 86 is usually hot and 85 goes to ground (especially if there is a diode rather than a resistor in the circuit. Using jumpers, energize 86, ground 85 and the relay should "click", and there should be resistance across 87 and 30. Next question, since the relays have parallel, equally spaced legs, is there a right or wrong way to plug them in? I put them back in the way they came out, but was wondering, since there is no markings on the circuit boss and I don't have 12v at any point.

Old 06-07-09, 08:18 PM
Excellent question......for which there are 2 answers.......

#1...if this is a 4 pin relay, putting it in upside down makes no difference....the electro magnet doesnt care which side is hot or ground, and in most cases the individual accesory will be diode suppressed.

#2...in another case, the pins are evenly spaced , but one leg is turned at a 90 degree angle to the rest......or there will be a a indentation in the fuse block that prevents it from being turned around..

Either way, unless you specifically defeat a "Safety" ..There is no way to get it wrong......

By the way.......energize 86 and ground 85....the relay clicks, and closes the contact set........there should be a "Complete" circuit between 87 and 30....(NO RESISTANCE).....

Old 06-07-09, 08:27 PM
Delete ...Duplicate post......

Old 06-08-09, 03:43 PM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chandler
With my limited A/C experience, I do know that if the compressor isn't kicking on, and you jumper the connector off the pressure switch, you can "force" it to energize. ...........I was going to charge it, but it shows 110 lbs of charge, or an overcharge state.
Larry

In such a charged state, especially, coudn't that be hazardous to the well being of the compressor by jump bypassing the pressure switch? Unc?

Old 06-08-09, 04:13 PM
Without the compressor engaged.....110 PSI would be "Static " pressure......Completely normal, or even a bit low......110 with the Comp running....Yes I would worry....

That pressure would drop drastically under normal operating conditions...

Old 06-09-09, 03:06 PM
That was my thinking if I could get the compressor to run, the static pressure behind it should release and return to normal. Still no way to force it to energize that I can see. She gets off work at 7, so I'll go out there and see what else I can mess up trying to fix it. Thanks for all the input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: