Check Engine Light after non-driving for awhile

Old 06-14-09, 11:02 AM
Check Engine Light after non-driving for awhile

Hi:
1999 Corolla with low-mileage

Upon starting the Corolla 1999, 'Check Engine Light' started showing at the upper right panel. I did not drive the car for two to three weeks, because it's practically used for 'back-up' car due to my long-drive to the work.

When I asked the shop, they told me $91 for diagnosis ONLY. I just wonder whether I should have it done, since the car appears to me in perfect shape, ... driving as if nothing wrong.

However, ... in the back of my head, I certainly hate to think of 'stuck' in the road.

Your imputs on this would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-09, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
Although it is possible, it's unlikely it will strand you. If you have an Auto Zone nearby you should be able to get the codes read for free. Then post back here what they tell you and we'll try to help you figure it out.

Old 06-14-09, 12:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You may have an innocuous code showing up, since it runs. Have Autozone clear the codes for you when they pull them up.

Old 06-16-09, 10:28 AM
Thanks both for the responses. I really appreciate your valuable inputs.

This morning when I stopped by nearby AutoZone, a guy did it and wrote it as follows:

PO441

Definition:
BBEVAP Control system incorrect purge flow

Should I bring it to the shop right away, ... or wait until Emission-test?

Old 06-16-09, 01:58 PM
Group Moderator
Couple of possibilities there. If you can locate the purge valve, inspect the hoses; could be simply a split hose. Log on to Auto Zone's site and you should be able to find guidance on component locations.

Here's the short version on system operation. This is the evap system for capturing and burning fuel vapors from the gas tank. The vapors in the tank are captured in a charcoal cannister where they are held until the next time you start the car. When you start the car, one thing that happens is that the evap system purge valve receives a signal to open. When it does the stored fuel vapors are sucked into the engine's intake manifold where they are burned with normal combustion intake air mixture. The code would indicate that this normal flow is not occuring or is restricted in some way.

Old 06-17-09, 07:54 AM
CE light

Is the gas cap on and tight?

Old 06-17-09, 07:58 AM
Group Moderator
Thought that was a different code, wrench.