'97 Grand Prix GT Front End Howl

Old 06-15-09, 08:50 AM
Arrow '97 Grand Prix GT Front End Howl

Ok so I have a '97 Grand Prix GT with the 3.8L V6 in it. And all of a sudden last week I started hearing a howl from the front end of the car, possibly the front right. Now here's the crazy stuff... It doesn't sound like a hub because it's not a consistent howl, it's loudest at 35mph, 50-60mph, and can't be heard at all at others like <15mph, 40mph, and so on. For the most part the howl is consistent in the tone of the sound, until you get up to about 70mph then it gets to be a little higher pitched. Could it be that I lost a weight on the tire and it's out of balance? (Which there really isn't a noticeable vibration which would indicate it's balance.) Or could it be a hub or bearing or something else? Brakes possibly? It's time for new shoes the way it is anyways. Anyway, thanks for some pointers! I'd like to get it fixed soon and as inexpensively as possible! I'm still in college so I don't have much $. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-09, 02:27 PM
I had a howl/squeal on my 3.8 Olds. I happened under acceleration above about 25 mph. Replaced the belt, checked idler pulley, water pump and finally discovered it was the EGR valve. I had a plugged cat. The backpressure was causing the EGR to howl. Have you noticed a loss of power??

Old 06-15-09, 02:58 PM
Oh yeah? Yes actually there is a bit of loss of power every once in a while. Those GM engines are good and similar. What does replacing that EGR valve entail?

Old 06-15-09, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator
What turbojohn was saying is..the problem wasn't the EGR, it was the catalytic converter.

I think that would normally throw a code of some sort, but with a '97, not so sure.

If it was a wheelweight you'd feel a vibration.

Old 06-15-09, 03:49 PM
Right, replacing the cat fixed my problem but I had to replace the EGR valve, because it was melting and not working. It melted the wires going to it. I let it go too long so it eventually ruined the EGR. To see if the cats plugged, take out the Oxygen Sensor and put a pressure gauge on it. Shouldn't go above a pound or so when you rev the motor. I looked on the Checker Auto website, While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at CSK Auto and the EGR for you car looks very similar to mine, a 3 valve unit, but its a different part number, so it's possible it may be howling. (Mines an 1989 3.8 Olds)

Old 06-15-09, 04:31 PM
Thanks guys! Yeah this is purely related to motion and not engine rev cause I was playing with that earlier. I'm starting to lean towards a bad hub or something like that, but it just doesn't act like a typical bad hub. You can't hear the howl from the outside of the car, only the inside. This is confusing...