Chevy 91 Lumina (car)

Old 06-15-09, 03:43 PM
Chevy 91 Lumina (car)

The car had no problems until 5 days ago. Could not start after I fueled up. Tow truck gave me a jump and drove home. It stalled while driving through the parking lot. Restarted but ran rough. Today, tried to start, no power, no lights ? Took battery meter reading, 3.36 volts. Removed ground cable, battery reading 12.22 volts. What is going on? Can there be a faulty crank sensor or a faulty ignition module?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-09, 06:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
The car had no problems until 5 days ago. Could not start after I fueled up. Tow truck gave me a jump and drove home. It stalled while driving through the parking lot. Restarted but ran rough. Today, tried to start, no power, no lights ? Took battery meter reading, 3.36 volts. Removed ground cable, battery reading 12.22 volts. What is going on? Can there be a faulty crank sensor or a faulty ignition module?

Why did you need a jump? Didn't it turn over? Or did it turn over but you wore it down from trying to start it for so long?

Did you or the tow guy think to remove cables and really clean the cables and posts good? Are the cables/clamps stock types that are least likely to corrode at the clamp?

If all is good right there by the battery, make sure the ground to the engine and also to the chasis is all good. And if that is, then you will have to go on a search and destroy mission checking the various connections, downstream. And you may need a wiring diagram. Mitchell's is good.

Old 06-16-09, 05:54 AM
Group Moderator
Cables/connections or possibly the alternator has crapped, although you seem to have had almost full battery voltage when you checked. Neither the crank sensor nor the module will prevent cranking unless, as ec suggests, it would crank fine but not fire until the battery was run down from trying.

Side note, any tow guy who just gives a jump start without checking/cleaning terminals needs to be slapped.

Old 06-16-09, 06:00 PM
Test the battery, you stated it showed 3.36 volts with the cable hooked up, and went up to 12.22 with no load. Weak or bad battery could be the reason for all your troubles.

Old 06-17-09, 06:16 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for adding that, twister; was in my brain when I was typing, but didn't make it to the screen.