jerks in reverse

Old 06-17-09, 10:05 PM
jerks in reverse

91 olds cutlass.

when i put it in reverse when in the driveway it will jolt when it goes into reverse.this is the only time. it does not do it any other time or if i leave to go somewhere later it does not do it. any ideas. maybe cause the engine is cold so it revs high. the engine will surge when in the drive way in park. it will rev down to not quite stalling then rev back up. could this be the cause.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-09, 08:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Rather than go into a diatribe about trans and fluid maybes, I'd let the engine warm up at least a little first, and/or resolve the idle speed issue when cold. THEN see what it does.

Old 06-18-09, 12:01 PM
like said it only does it once then its fine. for the idle problem is there a sensor i should replace. maybe the O2 sensor. air fllter and prefilter are new.

Old 06-18-09, 04:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You might have a code on this you could check.

I am sitting here looking at my Haynes manual for my car, and it describes all that my throttle body fuel injection has, - and all that multi-port injection vehicles have - as far as idle speed control, heat temp sensor, throttle postion sensor, etc.

Then in the manual's emmissions section, where it lists all the codes and what they mean, there are codes for all those things I listed, and much much more, like the O2 sensor(s)/sensor voltage not fluctuating the way it should, MAP sensor, cannister purge sensor, internal computer failure, coolant sensor too high or low, etc., etc.

If I were you and did not get better specific advice, I'd check under the hood to make sure everything associated with the fuel injection wires and vacuum lines are all hooked up and that anything that helps warm the injection site is hooked up, and anything associated with the air filter and any sensor with the air cleaner is hooked up, and that the throttle plate does not get hung up in the bore. And then if all appears in order, I'd check for a code. And then if I wanted to attempt to DIY it, I'd get a manual and learn every component that ties into dictating idle speed, that your car has. Like how I named some stuff earlier that my (Dodge) has.