1999 Jimmy shock suggestions

Old 06-18-09, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1999 Jimmy shock suggestions

I have a 1999 GMC Jimmy SLT4 WD that was aowned by a GM executives wife when I bought it at 25,000 miles. I believe it has a trailer package because it rides a little rougher than my wife's 2000 Blazer. It does have a switch on the "hump" to lock the transmission for heavier loads.

It is used as a car and the only time it pulled anything was puling a light 16' aluminum boat and trailer for 130 miles. Only into 4WD once or twice a year to make sure it works. - We don't get enough snow to use it.

It now has 130,000 miles on it and the original rear shocks seem OK, but they should really be changed. Wearing shocks can creep up on you unless you drive hard.The fronts were replaced at about 80,000 miles when the flimsy front end was improved with good parts.

What would be the best shocks for the rear for my use? I don't want to be cheap, but I don't think I need some high tech Konis or Bilstons (sp?)

Thanx for opinions.

Dick

Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-09, 06:03 PM
Leaf spring suspensions really do not need an ultra high tech shock. I run a good gas charged shock on my trucks, Monroe, Gabriel etc.

Old 06-19-09, 10:21 PM
wire twister took the words right out of my mouth. i would go with gabriel. there good quality shocks for not so much money.

Old 06-27-09, 09:39 PM
Shocks

We have an 01 Gimmy that handled really loose in the mountains. I installed Monroe reactive shocks and it made it a new car. The shock valving changed as the load changes through dips and corners, best choice in my opinion.
Bill