AC Fan Switch Problem

Old 06-18-09, 06:33 PM
AC Fan Switch Problem

Hi all,

I have a 2002 Dodge Caravan (V6). About 8 months ago, the AC fan switch went on the fritz. The AC works just fine, but the fan control switch will only allow it to blow on absolute full blast. The four lower settings will not blow at all (other than allowing a passive cool breeze to flow while moving). The only setting that works is the highest.

While I'm grateful to at least have that, it's a bit annoying when trying to hold a conversation or when I don't want a freeze out. Also, the problem exists regardless of whether the AC is set on recirculated or outside air.

Does anyone know what would cause this? Is it a fan control switch problem or a blower motor problem?

Thanks for any help.
Jason

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-09, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator
Its probably the resistors...normally mounted near the blower motor. Can't find a good illustration, you might be able to find it by tracing the wiring back from the blower motor.

Warning (copied from Autozone.com) The Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system must be disarmed before removing the blower motor assembly. Failure to do so may cause accidental deployment of the air bag, resulting in unnecessary SIR system repairs and/or personal injury.

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable, then wait 2 minutes before proceeding with the removal. This will effectively disable the air bag system preventing possible personal injury.

Old 06-19-09, 03:10 PM
Open the glove box, release the locking tabs , and fold it down......

The Blower resistor should now be in plain sight.......

Remove it (Two 5/16 bolts)and take it with you to the parts store....There are 3 or 4 variations, so make sure it matches exactly...

Old 06-19-09, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Wow Unc...you mean they actually made it EASY? Who'd a thunk it.

Old 06-19-09, 03:23 PM
Not quite

Have the band aids ready, the locking tabs on the glove box can be a bear....

Old 06-19-09, 03:27 PM
Big THANKS fellas. I really appreciate the help. Sounds like a fairly easy fix. I'll get out the old resistor and get the new this afternoon and do the swap. It will be nice to have normal AC again ...

Thank again.
Jason

Old 06-19-09, 05:47 PM
One more quick question.

I got the new blower motor resistor installed. AC works fine now with all levels blowing correctly.

However ... when I cranked up the van to test the AC and new resistor out, there was a burning smell and a little smoke coming from the resistor area. Is that normal for a new resistor?

I noticed the new resistor had some sort of rubber like (protective?) coating on the coils and I'm wondering if that's what I smell as it burns off? Is that normal?

Help.

Thanks,
Jason

Old 06-20-09, 04:21 AM
Completely normal....

If you had touched the resistor coils , they would have been HOT....

Think about something for a moment, and it will all make sense

Why would they mount the resistor in a spot that gets direct airflow from the blower motor?????

Old 06-20-09, 08:24 AM
The part that burns out is a "thermal fuse" on the resistor.
Ofter it is wise to take fan out and look at windings to make sure they are not burnt, or do a amp draw test.
If it burns out again in short time then you know you will have to dig deeper.

Old 06-20-09, 03:06 PM
Agreed.......

Often times I overlook that , because I replace these on a daily basis. I dont even bother to check them in anymore......"You said It only blows on high?????" ...".Hey Bill....order this woman a resistor and make her an appointment".........But .Im yet to be wrong about it....

Old 06-20-09, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
Completely normal....

If you had touched the resistor coils , they would have been HOT....

Think about something for a moment, and it will all make sense

Why would they mount the resistor in a spot that gets direct airflow from the blower motor?????
Good points. Makes sense. After I posted that last message I decided just to let it run and the burning smell was gone after a few minutes.

I had just become concerned because the new resistor had a different coil design, and the guy at the parts store promised me that they changed the design and it was the right part. So the burning smell made me stop and go ... wait a minute, was that guy right?

But all is well. Thanks for all the help.

Search this Thread