1998 Jeep Cherokee need to press gas pedal to start it.

Old 06-19-09, 05:48 AM
1998 Jeep Cherokee need to press gas pedal to start it.

I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee 6 cyl 4x4. That some times I need to press the gas pedal to the floor to start it. Once I get it start and I let the pedal go it will die. But if I start it and feather the pedal for about 2 minutes its fine and could be fine for a while. So far this has happened twice. After the first time I did, plug, cap, rotor, wires, air filter, and added Sea Foam to the fuel and it was fine for 2 weeks. Then it happened again yesterday morning. The jeep is driven everyday and usally has about a 1/2 tank of gas. Not sure were to look next. I was think it may be a sensor but which one. Throttle positon, Air Flow ???? there are some many that cross my mind that it could be. Anyone have any ideas on waht this may be, or how to test sensors?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-09, 03:00 PM
Have the codes read at Auto Zone and post back we will try to help.

Old 06-19-09, 03:38 PM
A can of 3M throttle body cleaner and an old tooth brush.......You'll be fine. also check for vacuum leaks

Old 06-19-09, 07:44 PM
Thanks I thought about removing the thottle body and cleaning it. I have a computer and will hook it up and see if it tells me anything. Just an FYI there is not engine light on. I will have to post on Monday since my nanny has the Jeep for the weekend.