Acceleration Issues

Old 06-20-09, 08:56 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Acceleration Issues

I just got my 95 camry back from the dealer where they replaced my expansion valve and receiver/drier for my AC. They had the car for almost a week due to backorder in parts so I assume the car has been just sitting there.

Once I started the car, the engine sounded weak like it was going to stall. I let it warm up for a bit then I decided to run it on the street. When I tried accelerating, it struggled a lot. The RPMs were struggling to go over 3. When I get to stop light, the engine sounds like its choking. I kept driving it and then after another few miles everything became normal. I drove it for the rest of the day at different times and no engine issues.

The next morning I went out and the whole thing started all over again. This did not happen before the delaer replaced the expansion valve and receiver/drier and no the AC was not running when these engine acceleation problems were occurring. What is wrong?

I'm due for an oil change and air filter change.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-09, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Just a guess, but since they probably had the battery disconnected while doing the work, your engine computer is relearning. You should probably take it out for about a 20 min or so drive if you haven't already. Varied driving speeds, a few stops and takeoffs, some highway speeds.

Like I said..just a guess..no expert Mechanic.

Old 06-21-09, 11:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'd ask the dealer about everything they had to disconnect or whatever - and tell them what happened. Also when you find out where they replaced the stuff, you could look and see if any jack connection or vacuum line came unplugged in that area.

Kinda strange that if the problem is related, and not just some coincidence, that it first ran terrible, then ran fine, then runs terrible again.

Was your a/c actually working before you took it to the shop? The reason I ask is that if the a/c compressor was not working, and now that it is - the increased load on the engine may be what is causing an underlying problem to now show up.

Old 06-21-09, 07:29 PM
There was a restriction with the AC which is why I had to bring it in. They said the compressor was fine.

Old 06-22-09, 04:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you considering telling them what happened?

A restriction, with what?

And by saying the compressor was fine, - was it indeed actually compressing before they worked on it it?