87 Jeep Cherokee Steering

Old 06-22-09, 07:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
87 Jeep Cherokee Steering

Was driving down the highway yesterday, and hit a small bump in the road. The front end started shaking violently until I slowed down, then it stopped. Any idea's as to what is going bad in the front end? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-09, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Same exact thing happened when I was driving a friends Jeep while visiting. Its been quite a while but I THINK it was the idler arm? Tie rod? Whatever it was he got it fixed pretty cheaply.

Scary as anything when it happens isn't it? I was just getting on a long sweeping exit ramp...almost put me in the ditch.

Old 06-22-09, 02:30 PM
if t felt like the whole front end was shaking then probably an idler arm or pitman arm. if not the ost likely a tie rod.

jack up the front of the vehicle and make sure its steady on jackstands. place your hands at 3 and 9 o'clock on the tire and shake gently/firmly. kinda in between. if you feel some slack have a friend do the same action with you under the vehicle and wrap you hand around the tie rod ends (outer and inner) and also the pitman and iidler arms as well. if any of them are bad then you will feel the movement in your hand.

good luck Beer 4U2

Old 06-22-09, 03:11 PM
This is a JEEP we're talkin about fellas!!!!.........(Doesn't have a idler arm) There's a drag lik from the box to the right side and a center link from right to left .............BUT.......There is a rod that locates the tube (frt end) or the differential that comes from the left frame to the tube/Diff ........See if the bushing at the tube/diff is still there and if the bolt is tight