Front End Problems

Old 06-22-09, 11:28 AM
Front End Problems

Here is a copy/paste from another forum where I posted it regarding my 2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. I haven't received many responses and since the issue is sort of pressing, I need some opinions.

---

Last couple days I noticed I felt a bit of a popping in the left front wheel when braking hard or braking hard and turning. Now tonight, starting just a few hours ago, a squeaking developed. Sound is blaring while accelerating up to, say, about 40-50 km/h at which point the sound turns more into a "shh... shh... shh...". And I think from the left front wheel I am hearing a bit of a "chh... chh... chh..." sound while braking, almost like when my front left wheel was over-torqued. I still feel popping/clicking a bit while braking as well. Some of your have probably already identified what this is just from the information. I am guessing it is just the front left wheel as well. In case needed, I shot some quick vids for the sound with the BlackBerry, it just highlights exactly what this sound is.

Many thanks! I need to take care of this asap!

YouTube - Front End Issue #1

YouTube - Front End Issue #2

---

Further testing after that post:

I jacked front left wheel, and rotated it. While rotating there is an intermittent "chh... chh... chh..." sound. Little to absolutely no play was felt while trying to move the wheel.

Any information is appreciated as this potentially dangerous issue must be dealt with as soon as possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-09, 01:25 PM
when was the last time you had your rotors and pads replaced and if so what type brand did you use. if not, get rotors and pads then let us know whats going on.

you say it only happens when braking right? it sounds to me like you have exessive runout on your rotors. you wouldnt ba able to see it with the naked eye but with a runout guage you would. basicly your rotor would be out of round and causeing the noise when the pad contacts it. also try upgrading to a more premium pad like a ceramic.

Old 06-22-09, 01:57 PM
2 upper ball joints, 2 lower ball joints, 2 stabilizer links ............and do the brakes while you have the frt end torn down............Examine the control arm bushings, but the USUALLY don't go bad on these cars

Old 06-22-09, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the responses.

Just to clarify, the noise does not happen only during braking but also while in motion.

And Wrench47, with the whole front end is there one specific part you think would be causing this? I honestly haven't got a clue really which component is making the noise.

Old 06-22-09, 10:12 PM
Also today I took a wheel off and looked around a bit. I noticed firstly that the brake pads were in contact with the rotors, but am just curious how much contact is acceptable when brakes are not being applied. As I rotated the assembly with the wheel off I did hear a friction noise continuously as well. Furthermore, I don't know if this is normal or not, but when I grasped a wheel stud to rotate the assembly, the stud moved until hit the edge of its hole.

Thanks again.

Old 06-23-09, 05:48 AM
Well...........You can turn the rotor and you didn't mention burning your hand to a crisp..........kinda indicates the calipers are not sticking.........
As far as the front end.........Those are the parts that typically wear out on a Crown Vicky.........If you look at them.......The boots are usually torn and there is NO provision to lubricate (no grease fittings). meaning the grease (good) gets out and dirt and water (bad) gets in........
I would be surprised if they WEREN'T bad if the car began it's life with a PD or as a taxi

Old 06-23-09, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
Plus corrosion if they salt the roads in winter up your way.

Old 06-23-09, 09:15 PM
See the thing is, I was looking at the suspension and whatnot. I feel no play whatsoever, and everything looks really clean and non corroded. Boots look sealed, except for the tie rod end that I already knew needs to be fixed soon, it's a little off.

I was turning the rotor with the car cool, so maybe that doesn't rule out sticky caliper.

Thing is, and this is what was confusing me. If it was a ball joint or whatnot, wouldn't the noise only show up on bumps and stuff? Because this noise I've got, like in the video, happens while rolling forward, backwards, accelerating forwards/backwards and during braking. Bumps don't really change it much. Does that make it sound like a bearing, or something else?

Many thanks, I really appreciate this and we all know the reason DIY forum exists!

Old 06-23-09, 09:42 PM
Pull the dust Shield off of the rotor........

The metal backing plate is coming in contact with the rotor while rolling. if yo look carefully, there will be a light circular scratch on the inner face of the rotor where the plate rubs.....

Or.....

The wear sensors on your brakes are telling you they need changing...

BJ's that are "OUT OF GREASE" would typically make noise wile turning the steering left to right, as would Tie rods, and may or may not show "PLAY"...

Also...If memory serves correctly, and this is an ACTUAL Interceptor package, with Factory original parts.., A-L-L of your front end parts are Greaseable...all the way up to Upper Control arm bushings....This was unique to the "Municipality" cars, and wasnt offered to Joe Public's Town Car Or C-VIC

Old 06-23-09, 09:51 PM
I really appreciate the response, I will try and check in the morning when I got some light.

Also, it is an authentic Interceptor package, right down to the official P71 code in the VIN. Was an RCMP car.

Old 06-23-09, 10:06 PM
A few years back, I worked for a Fleet company of "Transport Cars".. The boss was so proud of himself when he bought 22 Police package Ford LTD's......I hated to be the one to tell him that he Bought "DUPED -UP" Private security cars

They didnt have the Serviceable front ends.....

Sweet car......Ive seen a few with a "Passenger car " version of a 5.4 "TRITON" truck motor...Fast and Indestructible all in one package...

Old 06-23-09, 10:22 PM
Lol ouch on the pseudo-Interceptors there!

And yup, it is durable, fast, and fun to drive. A few people on a Crown Vic enthusiast forum I am part of have swapped the stock 4.6L for the 5.4L you mentioned, since it's got more torque and whatnot. But the 4.6L holds its own well too, great car overall.

Search this Thread