Burnt Electric Smell Thru Vents

Old 06-23-09, 08:29 PM
Burnt Electric Smell Thru Vents

I was driving my 96 Mercury Sable home today - just after an oil change no less - and my A/C suddenly stopped pumping cold air and started pumping humid, tepid air. After a few minutes of this I got a very strong burned electric smell. It was definitely coming from the vents. I saw no smoke, and believe me, I was looking. Several minutes after this the AC began pumping cooler air again and the smell lessened.

After I got home, I checked the engine. No obvious melted wires. Belt looks normal. Which means nothing, really.

Having no choice, I drove to work and the A/C is running fine with no smell at all. :S

I'd just turn off the AC, but I'm having issues with the control panel, the knob decided it didn't want to switch the choices of A/C, vent and defrost. It's been stuck on A/C for a few months. As I live in the South, I figured right now that's not an issue.

suse

Last edited by suseb; 06-23-09 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-09, 09:58 PM
Sounds like your compressor is starting to DRAG.... The Clutch plate can make a smell very similar to "Electric" when it overheats...The reason you smell it in the car, is because your fresh air intake is right below the windshield, so anything going on under the hood , will be transfered to the Climate control ducts....

Since it came back, I would aim at an excessive discharge pressure draggng the compressor down....This could be anything from an overheated condenser, to a partially plugged Orifice/expansion tube, or simply the fact that it was hot out and you were stuck in traffic....

Its Difficult to justify fixing something that "AINT BROKE", but in the long run...At best, it can leave you stuck if the belt snaps, or worse, It can turn to fire hazard rather quickly...

Old 06-27-09, 08:24 AM
Sounds like your blower motor is crapping out........replace it.
I once had an '86 Bronco II with same symptoms and eventually had smoke pumping out of the vents.

Old 06-27-09, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Mackey View Post
Sounds like your blower motor is crapping out........replace it.
I once had an '86 Bronco II with same symptoms and eventually had smoke pumping out of the vents.
Possible, but....

The blower motor wouldnt stop the production of cold air.....

Search this Thread