01 suburban

Old 06-24-09, 08:55 AM
01 suburban

I think my fuel pump is about to go again. The first time it was blowing fuses this time it will whistle pretty loud then the car will sputter or die until you let it rest. My question is do you think it is going out again and if so I would like to do it myself this time to save around 700.00 if I can. I am reasonably mechanically inclined and I do have a lift available. What are the do's and don'ts and could someone sort of walk me through it so to speak?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-09, 12:15 PM
do... wear safety glasses. you'll be underneath the truck.. an dirt falls downwards.... gas is not really any fun to get in your eyes either btw.
get a friend to help carry the tank. they are awkward an at times heavy if they are full of gas. though... you should try hard to empty the tank as much as possible. siphoning or or a small pump helps with that.. don't use your mouth! just felt i had to say that last part. i believe removing the driveshaft on that truck will also be helpful to you... it's a little in the way.

there are some special connectors that you "may" need a tool for. not all the time.. but some of them. the tools are usually just a few dollars at a parts store.

don't... kink the hard plastic lines. they can leak if kinked to much..
don't let the tank fall on you.. or anyone else for that matter. try to support it all the way through.

other then that.. they aren't to hard to do.. the ring holding the pump in can be stubborn.. don't break it though... cause they're hard to find. and replace the "socks" on the pump (filters)

before you start though.. make sure it's the pump that is bad. check the wiring going to it. especially the ground. they get rusty an bad sometimes. an if you decide to have it done somewhere... 700 is a bit much to pay in my book... i rarely have anyone work on my car though and maybe your in an expensive town? dunno for sure.

Old 06-24-09, 03:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Could it just be a clog in the fuel line? I thought that the electric fuel pumps (in tank) were either good or bad, no middle ground. Good luck with it.

Old 06-25-09, 09:00 AM
I don't believe that it is in the line as it runs just fine most of the time. Occationally it will do the sputtering and loose all power. Sometimes it actually dies and you have to let it cool down. This is my wifes car so I can not get much more specific because I rarely drive it. I have been told that the fuel actually cools the pump so if you run the tank too low on fuel, as my wife tends to do, that it will get hot and shorten the life of the pump. It may have some sort of thermal sensor to keep it from getting too hot. The first time it went out it was under warranty and the cost was about 1,000.00 to repair and I only paid 100.00 deductable. I seem to recall that the pump itself from the auto parts store was around 300.00 or so. Thats where the 700.00 savings comes from is in the labor.

Old 06-25-09, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
Looks like $256.99 @ Auto Zone. I'm not a big fan of the design whereby you have to replace the whole assembly which includes the fuel level sending unit. On my truck the pump itself is replaceable for under $100.

Yes, nightowl, there can sometimes be intermittent operation before actual death of the pump.

No, there is not a thermal safety; when it's run low on fuel in starts to kill the pump. Very bad (and expen$ive) habit to get into).

Don't forget to replace the filter at the same time. And NO SMOKING!

Old 06-26-09, 09:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
LMAO at no smoking comment. Thank you for bringing back a funny memory of mine from when I worked at a gas station/garage with 3 mechanincs. Time and time again a cigarette had to be taken out of the mouth of one of the mechanics as he was working with gas

Old 06-26-09, 11:01 AM
Group Moderator
Well, the bad part about gas is that the fumes are heavier than air and can travel some distance. So the fumes from that open gas tank in the middle of the garage could be ignited by the pilot light on the gas water heater in the corner 30 feet away.

Old 06-29-09, 12:34 PM
Mine's a '94 Suburban, just had fuel pump replaced first time (186K miles) by mechanic, cost $340. The sender wasn't changed.

Old 06-29-09, 01:10 PM
Group Moderator
My wrecker's a '94, probably the same pump.