79 chevy G 10. extreme pressure in top radiator hose

Old 06-24-09, 01:20 PM
Question 79 chevy G 10. extreme pressure in top radiator hose

I have a 1979 Chevy G-10 van with a 350. The top radiator hose is exremely tight. I took the thermastat out and it is still building to much pressure. Looked in radiator and water is circulating. Trying to figure out what would cause the pressure. Could it be a bad radiator cap?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-09, 01:34 PM
press in rad

There shouldnt be any more pressure than the cap will hold 15 lbs I beleive. That will make the hose pretty firm. If you have doubt have the cap checked or replace it. And get a thermostst back in there. In some cases removing the stat will allow the coolant to circulate so fast it doesnt get time to cool thus causing over heating. RW

Old 06-24-09, 03:05 PM
the wrench is right! the pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant, 3 degrees per pound of pressure, most vehicles have a 15 pound cap on them. You will not be able to squeeze the top hose much with 15 pounds of pressure in it. Why do you think there is a problem?

Last edited by wire twister; 06-24-09 at 03:06 PM. Reason: spelling/ or lack thereof
Old 06-24-09, 03:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Completely unrealted but may be interesting. I was at a used auto parts yard, and saw a 70's GM van being carried by a forklift through the windshield and the roof didn't buckle. That impressed me.

Old 06-24-09, 03:42 PM
full frame vehicle and quite a beefy frame at that.

Old 06-24-09, 03:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I heard a funny story several years ago from news of the wierd. A father and son bought an old Chevy van from a police auction. A couple months later the father was doing work on it and the father found either 30 or 300 pounds of weed hidden in the frame. They turned it in to the police, that is the part that surprised me.

Old 06-26-09, 06:31 PM
thank you for the info on the 1979 Chevy van. The reason I thought there might be a problem is because I have never noticed the hose being that tight before. I have put a thermostat back in it but purchased a 160 thermostat. The top hose didn't get THAT thight before we started getting heat in the 90's. It was my mother's van and when she passed that is what I got to remember her by. So that is why I worry more than I should. A mechanic tried to tell me it was a blowed head gasket but I am not getting water in the oil or oil in the water. Van isn't running hot either. Anyway. I did just want to say THANK YOU!

Old 06-28-09, 05:11 AM
a bad head gasket could pressurize the cooling system and not allow oil/coolant mix. you can run a cooling system pressure test to find out. run the engine with the tester hooked up to the filler neck. if it's a bad gasket the engine will pressurize the cooling system.