Cracked car battery

Old 06-25-09, 10:17 AM
Cracked car battery

All,

Noticed that the negative terminal on my Mazda battery was getting a lot of oxidation. I cleaned it off and inspected it. Sure enough, there is a hairline crack in the plastic battery housing, about 1/2 inch long and originating right at the terminal post. Apparently it leaks out very little acid, that explains the terminal corrosion. Is there a way to fix it?

Appreciate any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-09, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator
No...you don't want to try and fix it. Depending on the age, it may be under warranty and if its not, you are probably due for a new battery.

If it somehow got bigger after the fix and leaked badly it could make for some expensive repairs under the hood, as well as leaving you stranded.

Old 06-27-09, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by markiz37 View Post
All,

Noticed that the negative terminal on my Mazda battery was getting a lot of oxidation. I cleaned it off and inspected it. Sure enough, there is a hairline crack in the plastic battery housing, about 1/2 inch long and originating right at the terminal post. Apparently it leaks out very little acid, that explains the terminal corrosion. Is there a way to fix it?

Appreciate any advice.
Yes, replace it!
When your craked battery charges it emits explosive gases that are just begging for an ignition point..........
It's much easier, safer and faster to replace your battery than to clean corrosive acid from your entire engine compartment after your battery explodes.