Horn grounding problem?

Old 06-25-09, 01:31 PM
Horn grounding problem?

Horns quit working. 92 plymouth acclaim, 4 cyl, auto, DS airbag, tilt steering wheel, cruise control.

Long story short, when i hook up a jumper wire from a good ground to the back of the screw that grounds the horn button to the steering wheel, the horns will work.

I have 2 horn buttons on the steering wheel spokes(not in the air bag cover).
The airbag light and the cruise control both function normally.

Questions:
1. how can i further diagnose/fix this problem?
2. does the ground for the steering wheel run back thru the clockspring to a ground under the dashboard?
TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-09, 03:22 PM
Check the passenger side of the engine (At the Timing Cover)...from the engine mount to the frame rail, there should be a "Silver" braided Ground strap... make sure it is clipped on to both sides... This same strap can also wreak Havoc with turn signals , wipers and even "Radio Reception" when it comes loose.

Next, if all else fails, drop the plastic Knee covers under the steering column, and run a piece of wire from the dashboard Frame to one of the Steering column mounting bolts ...Left or right..it doesnt matter.....

Did you have a radio or alarm system installed recently???? Anything that required lowering the Steering column??? There are Plastic bushings that break away during a collision.....If they didnt go back straight, ....Well....Plastic doesnt really work well as a ground point....

Old 06-26-09, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the ideas UD, here is some feedback:

1. Engine ground strap is good. there is continuity from the engine to the car body.

2. when i ran a ground wire from the metal dash frame to a bolt that holds the steering col, the horns would NOT work. As you mentioned, these 2 bolts have a plastic bushing, but it seems to me that this bushing also electrically isolates the steering col. from the car body.

3. i then temporarily touched this ground wire to the metal steering col shaft and the Horns worked. so i think this confirms that some how the ground for the steering wheel/col has been lost.

4. i am the original owner and the car has never been in an accident where the airbag deployed. it does not have an alarm system and the last work that i did on it was to replace the IAC motor which fixed a stalling/startup problem.

If i were to make the temp ground to the steering col permanent, would this cause any problems? would this mean that the steering wheel is now grounded thru the bearing in the steering col?

Old 06-26-09, 06:45 PM
You may put it anywhere that doesnt rotate....

You cant have a wire wrapping around the steering shaft where it would bind up the "Free SPIN" Of the steering system...Anyplace else is fair game...