1991 Ford Explorer muffler

Old 06-25-09, 05:49 PM
1991 Ford Explorer muffler

When it rains it pours. I just got the radiator put into my Subaru, and the next day the muffle falls off of my Explorer

I'm really just wondering if this is something I can do myself. And, if so, any advice, instructional videos, etc. I don't have any specialty tools, like welding equipment, just the normal, e.g. wrenches, ratchet set, screw drivers, etc.

Is this possible, or am I (even after replacing the radiator on my own) still going to end up paying a mechanic?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-09, 08:12 PM
did it "fall off" completely? or just fall down on the ground? the latter... you can just rehang it. most times it's just a small rubber figure 8 looking deal or something of a rubber band.

if the pipe broke. you can hook it back up too with a couple of clamps an maybe an extra peice of pipe. . unless the whole thing is rotten with rust. the clamps will crush the rusty pipes usually... might work for a short term cure. but it'll come off sooner then later.

don't have to have a welder. though that would be nice.. just some common sense n a little thinkin..

first evaluate the exhaut system.. see how much you need to replace. price the parts. see if they are available. get what you need , put 'em in. some pats are expensive.. and you can use other peices to do the same thing. since this is your first (i'm assuming) time i'd avoid this unless your very confident about how to make them work together.

the work is not really fun if you layin on your back. the bolts will be uncooperative and break off. and you find the wrench won't fit right so they strip out too.. thats all normal. an sometimes it's alll but impossible to get the pipe over the rear axle... should you need to replace that section. if you have to raise the car up - be absolutely sure it will stay there before you go underneath it. use jack stands on concrete. asphalt sometimes will sink. if you've no other place to work.. put boards under the stands to spread the weight out a bit. exhaust work.. the first time around is a little frustrating. cause the pipes never seem to fit right. or you get the wrong size adapter or.. or... seems it's always something! but be patient. have a sense of humor.. cuss out the engineers instead of the car.

wear glasses an gloves. rust is not friendly to eyes or skin. keep your mouth closed when your under the car too..

in the end. make sure the guards are still secure. to protect the car from heat. especially near the fuel cell an lines. brake lines are not immune to heat either. but if you replace it with "stock" parts most times they go were they are supposed to go. just gotta check to be sure...

you might stop by an exhaust shop if you feel ok drivin the car... see how much they want to fix it. then decide if it's worth you time

whichever way you go.. good luck with it!

Old 06-26-09, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by midunno View Post
did it "fall off" completely? or just fall down on the ground? the latter... you can just rehang it. most times it's just a small rubber figure 8 looking deal or something of a rubber band.
I just got it home. I lost the tailpipe last summer, but the sound was still OK, so I just decided to live with it.

This section that fell off yesterday did not fall off completely. It's a wide section, and the part toward the front end is what came off.

(Last night it was storming when it fell, so I didn't want to crawl under and mess with it.) This afternoon, I was able to just lift it and put the front pipe back into the wide part that fell and drive it home. I'm letting it cool down for a bit before checking it further, now that it's home.

I'm not sure if this part needs to be sealed somehow, or if just putting it back in is good enough. It still doesn't sound very loud. But with this being the second piece to fall off, I imagine it's time to start replacing the pieces. It's rusty down there, but the metal didn't look ruined...

Old 06-27-09, 07:54 AM
the wide part is probably the muffler?? itself.. sealing it up is a usually a good idea. keeps the fumes from entering the car interior. (you'll need a tail pipe also to ensure that) an also when they leak.. they tend to cause more corrosion and rust. if you have larger pair of pliers.. you can test sections of the pipe... squeeze the pipe (gently at first) with them.. if you can significantly squish or dent the metal... it's probably to thin to last much longer. you can use just your hands too.. if if feels "soft" it probably is.
it does sound as if it's time for a few new pieces down there though since you are loosing parts..

Old 06-27-09, 12:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you need to drill a hole, please use a drill. In the news of the weird several years ago, a 22 year old guy in Miami was doing exhaust work and used a .22 caliber handgun to make the hole he needed. He went to the hospital with shrapnel wounds in his legs.

Old 06-29-09, 09:51 AM
Wow, that's sad, but kinda funny.

Anyway, I haven't figured out exactly what I'm going to do with this. Fortunately, my Subaru is running fine now with its new radiator. Hope I didn't just jinx anything.

I called a muffler shop, and they said they would do an inspection for free. My thoughts right now are to get the inspection done and find out exactly what pieces of the exhaust system need replacing, and then look further into whether or not I can do this myself.

I'm still thinking I'm going to need to weld stuff. I feel like I should be able to do anything besides that.

Search this Thread