95 grand am 6 cyl belt tentioner

Old 06-26-09, 10:18 AM
95 grand am 6 cyl belt tentioner

well it broke, how hard is it to replace and what is the easiest way to do it?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-09, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
Belt tensioners are generally not that difficult to replace. Often the harde part is how much room you have to work in on front wheel drive cars. Since it's already broke I'm guessing that the belt is already off or at least out of tension. With that out of the way you should have one single bolt in the center of the tensioner. Remove it and the assembly comes off. You'll notice on the back is a stud of some kind that fits in a hole. This is what keeps the whole works from rotating with only one bolt holding it in place. Some info here:

AutoZone.com | Membership Benefits

You may need to register/login to access.

Old 06-26-09, 11:04 AM
the belt is shot also. i am worried about room to get in there. thanks for the link!

Old 06-27-09, 07:54 PM
thanks tow guy! it was tight ,but i got it loose from the top and took it off from below.the new tentioner was flat and 10 times easier to install.it took a while but was hundreds of dollars cheaper! someone else here said drill holes, you dont have to.i did need some help though,which is always a good thing.the 1/4 inch socket wrench (non ratcheting) was the key.the low profile helped in that rediculously tight space. it had seperated and the spring had it up against the frame,no room at all ,so we had to pry it back with 2 long screwdrivers.now that is tight! thank you for the advice!

Old 06-28-09, 07:00 AM
Group Moderator
Never have been able to figure out why the engineers couldn't find a couple of extra inches of room in that area on some makes/models. Stems from them never having to actually work on what they design, I guess.