Same,or different?

Old 06-30-09, 08:21 AM
Same,or different?

Is traction control the same thing as stability control?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-09, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator
Not usually..though they may use some of the same componants. TC basically just checks speed on the driven tires and keeps them the same by reducing power or applying the brakes (different cars have different systems) on the one that is turning faster.

SC uses speed, steering and motion sensors to reduce power overall or apply the brakes to keep the car going in the direction indicated.

This is very basic..much depends on the type and brand of vehicle. TC and SC are not the same, but may be interrelated

Old 06-30-09, 08:41 AM
Thanks.
The reason i ask is that my Honda accord has VSC(vehicle stability control)and i was wondering how helpful that would be in winter driving conditions.

Old 06-30-09, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
I BELIEVE its really more for dry conditions, though it may help in snow. Seems like I just read about some testing they did..I'll reference it if I can find it again.

Best thing for winter driving is 4 snowtires on regular steel wheels. Swap 'em as needed when the weather gets bad. Though you may need to check about the air pressure monitoring system if installed.