Brakes not pumping up 1998 dodge pick-up

Old 06-30-09, 10:12 AM
Brakes not pumping up 1998 dodge pick-up

Removed most if not all fluid from master and lines. Now can't seem to get the brakes to pump up. Front barkes have been bleed but the rear brake are not responding. no fluid comes out of bleeder and fluid in master cylinder stays at the same level. The fronts are bled.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-09, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator
You may have to crack the line at the master cyl for the rears and see what you are getting.

Do you have rear ABS?

Old 06-30-09, 11:41 AM
Power steering fluid that was in the system could have damaged the seals in the master. (and other places)
Have a helper slowly step on the brakes and watch the fluid in the master cylinder. Have helper step on brakes a bit faster if necessary.
Fluid should "spout" out the copensating port and you should be able to see the disruption of fluid in the reservoir.
Wear saftey glasses and stand back a bit and have the helper start pushing pedal slowly until you both get a feel for it.

But as stated before, every seal and rubber line would be suspect after the introduction of an oil product.

Sorry

Old 07-01-09, 05:12 AM
Yes I do have ABS on rears, GG. Had truck on jack stands. And truck would not start. Thinking that I needed vacume for the brakes. Put truck back on its wheels and it started. I really dont believe that the seals would cause no fluid to rear brakes. Going to try and bleed brakes again now that engine runs. Wondering that the ABS has something to do with this. ABS light and Brake light are glowing. I used a vacula to remove fluid from lines after removing fluid from master.

Old 07-01-09, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
There is a specific method to bleed ABS..something about having to cycle the valve or something...sorry I can't tell you what it is. Have you checked the Autozone site for a repair guide? They may have instructions online.

Nope..just looked..rear antilock is the same as normal brakes.

I'd crack the line at the master and see if you get anything.

frankiee is right though...bad seals will cause no pressure. Happened with my SUV.

Old 07-01-09, 10:56 AM
Well cracked the lines off the master and fluid did come out. I think thats a good thing. Remove rear brake line after ABS and no fluid came out. Blew air into line and air came out at bleeder screws on rear wheels. Going to gravity fill rear line from there. I`ll check out auto zones site. I wondering if ABS is contributing to this.

Old 07-06-09, 05:51 AM
Rear line are gravity fill. Still no build up in brake pedal pressure. Lookin at possible new master cylinder.Will check system again before replacement. I`ll check in later.

Old 07-06-09, 10:07 PM
Moderator close this thread I`m done here

Search this Thread