2001 Explores Sport Brakes

Old 06-30-09, 12:32 PM
2001 Explores Sport Brakes

Having problems with my brakes. Replaced pads and rotors both front and rear. Lubed all points,and slides. Now when I apply the brakes it sounds like a farting sound just after I start to slow down. She stops, but the farting sound has me perplexed. I have not disconnected any lines, so no air should be in the lines. Stuck caliper/hose breaking down??? Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-09, 04:28 PM
Is this why you replaced the brakes in the first place????
Go under the hood to the fuse panel, and Pull out the fuse marked ABS.. Then drive the car. If this cures your problem, go back and find the wheel speed sensor wiring that you pinched putting the calipers back.... It happens to the best of us..

Another likely cause is the Tooth Ring on the axle is broken. if you rotate the wheel while watching the ring, you may find a "Split" between the teeth. If this is the case , the CV axle must be replaced.

Old 06-30-09, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll check it out...in the AM and let you know what I find.

Old 06-30-09, 11:27 PM
Oh one more thing, the farting sound sounds like it is coming from under the dashboard. It makes the sound a few seconds before coming to a complete stop. Then the pedal seems to travel a tad further. As if I am purging air from the lines. Also the pass side parking brake cable was broke...which led me to inspect the rear brakes. So I replaced the pads and rotors, and cable.

Old 07-07-09, 05:03 PM
Well, I am back. After further inspection found a sticky caliper on the passenger side. So I replaced both front calipers. I bled the system rear to front...as follows ... RR, LR, RF, LF...can not get a pedal now...that puzzles me as I had a good pedal before, replacing the calipers. Still perplexed Thank you in advance ...again.

Old 07-07-09, 07:41 PM
Are you sure you did not put the left on the right and the right on the left and ended up having the bleeders on the bottom of the calipers?
What?
Dont laugh
I did it once!
?
?
OK. You can laugh all you want.
It was late at night OK

Old 07-07-09, 07:46 PM
It happens to the best of us.....

Have you pulled the ABS fuse yet?????

Old 07-07-09, 09:05 PM
Frankie & UncleDiezel, I'll let you both know what I find tomorrow. Thank you both for the response.

Old 07-07-09, 09:08 PM
Uncle Diezel, I did not pull the fuse due to the fact that I found a sticky caliper. That is when I thought it was best to replace both Calipers. I'll let you know as soon as I am on the road again. Thanks again.