92 Pontiac Grad AM fuel pumf failed, temp. natural flow?

Old 06-30-09, 03:07 PM
92 Pontiac Grad AM fuel pumf failed, temp. natural flow?

Wondering if I can temporary use gas canister and 10' hose to feed gas in fuel injectors so I can drive the car that stalled some 2-3 miles from my place and replace faulty fuel pump there.
I know certain pressure has to be reached (40+ psi) in order for car to run normally but when I sipped the gas in hole next to fuel line intake car started.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-09, 03:41 PM
Group Moderator
No. You would have to maintain the required pressure all the way. No way that's going to happen. Not sure about your area, but that's about a $50 tow here.

Old 07-02-09, 09:22 PM
Tried but over flooded, didn't drive away instantly when succeeded to start engine. Instead shut it off, let gas flow free hoping membrane will hold while I was packing tools away.
Anyway, next day I was able to start engine again using rubber hammer and pounding tank while partner was cranking engine.
Started, lot of black smoke ( clearing manifold I guess) then came scary part when white smoke came. Thought engine problem but quickly it cleared. In meantime engine stalled again due to fuel. Tried again in few minutes and started but pounding at the gas tank didn't help a lot, fuel pump died completely.
Towed back home, time for serious job
Any tips on removing tank easier? It has just 2 gallons of gas in it.

Old 07-05-09, 08:15 PM
Got the fuel tank down and pump out.
Pump resistance 12.9 Ohms. Tried to run it dipped in bowl with gas half the pump height but only buzzing I can hear.
Have a pump from 95 S10 that OEM# matches this pump and that pump's resistance is 24.0 Ohms but haven't dipped it yet in gas to try because I must solder the piece of wire don't have an original plug and pins are very thin for regular female clamps.

Edited:
Soldered wires, tried S10 pump and it worked. Hopefully it will fit in Grand AM housing.

Last edited by uradisam; 07-05-09 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-06-09, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
I would not advise you to continue that form of testing. One spark and you won't need a shave or haircut for a while.

Old 07-06-09, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by the_tow_guy View Post
I would not advise you to continue that form of testing. One spark and you won't need a shave or haircut for a while.
LOL, I am a firefighter with el. background.
Done testing, pump from S10 won't fit in AM even though OEM# is same will attach the pics of both later.
Decided to go with used one from local shop 100 days warranty whole thing 100 bucks. Could of taken out from salvaged ones on local junkyard but that might be a reason they are there at first place ( 90% Grand AM ends up there due to fuel pump)

Old 07-07-09, 04:57 AM
Group Moderator
A test medium with a higher flash point than the gasoline would have made me less nervous.

Old 07-07-09, 09:20 AM
"flash point"! Wow, I like that word. Also vapor pressure, etc.

No, for real, this guy gave a lot of useful information, but firefighter or not, took a great risk on operating with gasoline in the open (mixing up with air) and energized electrical parts at the same time (I guess while using the cellphone too, lol).

Knowledge is not necessarily a synonym of safety. Prudence is. I have heard of a lot of top experts in electricity being electrocuted by their own mistakes - too much confidence. So if you are a firefighter, I am sure you know better than that.

Just a "be careful" statement, nothing else.

On the other hand, I am sure that many people, including me, have taken advantage of the valuable information you provided.

Cheers,

Richard

Old 07-07-09, 01:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wouldn't a new fuel pump cost about the same as the yard one mentioned here? A few years ago, I put a new fuel pump into a Dakota pickup and the price was about $70 new.

Old 07-07-09, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator
NOP..I've seen prices on in tank pumps as high as $300-350...and as low as $100 or so. All depends on the car I guess.

Old 07-07-09, 02:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I figured American was cheaper. Seems to be the case for almost everything else. Thank goodness I haven't crossed that bridge yet with my VW. Hit 223K this morning.

Old 07-08-09, 03:46 PM
May Day, may day........ white smoke is coming out the exhaust pipe. Again
This time won't stop in few minutes that I was running the car with fuel pump properly installed ( used $25.00, new pump cheapest $218.00). Aftermarket part, just pump itself, cost around $55.00 but heard many bad stories if it doesn't match module.
LOL to flames, if it was in States would be nice July 4th fireworks, here in Canada we got lot of space to practice.
I had loose connections only on 35' away battery hook up point. Pump was connected tight prior test dipped in stainless still bowl. And no, I haven't seen/heard no one yet electrocuted from 12V DC voltage without touching solenoid that produces 10kv. In my case 12V was highest.
Anyway, white smoke is making me nervous. I have changed oil a week prior pump failure and drove almost 500 miles with new oil, no smoke was coming out ever. Oil still clear no burning smell.......

Old 07-08-09, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
White smoke = water. You sure the head gasket isn't blown? Or maybe the smoke is a little bluish (oil)? Beer 4U2

Old 07-08-09, 05:03 PM
Who knows, can't judge by oil look, all clear as when I replaced it. Prior that oil change everything was fine, drove over 2000 miles no problem, maybe twice came for second light check engine and it was it. I will drive it just few blocks around to see if white smoke still coming out, if so will check head gaskets.
That VW guy (nightowlpunk).... stick with German engines they rock. Had few 03 and up Passats loved them. Working on 03 Passat Wagon 4MO right now.

Old 07-08-09, 07:02 PM
Took it for a spin 10 min. light city driving, from time to time was white smoke coming, mostly after stops. Seems that fuel lines might have had some water mix or condense while sitting disconnected from fuel tank few days ( hopefully).
Will get engine cleaning spray and soak it well and wash under hot water sprayer. Then I can check for leaks.

Old 07-09-09, 08:50 PM
Hmmm seems to be just a fluke I hope.
No white smoke all day today while driving around town.
I have been planning for few months now to replace lifters, they becoming noisy and might check same time for cracks.
What would you rate that job easiness to do?

Old 07-10-09, 09:42 AM
Group Moderator
On a scale of 1-5 about a 3, but can't guarantee our scales are the same.