warming up issues

Old 07-03-09, 08:33 PM
warming up issues

Hey all, i got a 1990 ford f250 5.0. anyway, recently i noticed that when starting it starts great but the idle is kinda wierd warming up. when i start it itl get a real low idle like it wants to die then go up for a second, then go back down for a second or two then return to normal after its heated up. also if i put it in reverse or drive immidiately after starting it it will sometimes die.

any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-09, 08:54 PM
Late 80's and early 90's Ford products had a horrible reputation for the design of the EGR system.....

Going from memory, after 20 years, Your egr has a green vacuum tube to it from an EVR solenoid (Electronic Vacuum regulator). On top of the EVR is a Plastic "CAP" with a "Sponge " filter under it. Pry the cap off, remove the filter, replace the cap and drive the truck....If your symptoms are corrected, replace EVR, remove the EGR valve , clean the passages with carb cleaner, (Brake Kleen, Throttle body cleaner, air intake cleaner, Any flavor of Acetone based solvent you prefer) and reinstall.

Old 07-05-09, 06:32 PM
alright ima try that tuesday. i was thinking it could possibly be a dirty throttle body or injectors. im cleaning both of them tues also along with alittle tune up. thx for the tip