92 Toyota Corolla DX automatic transmission slipping/no shift

Old 07-03-09, 11:41 PM
Question 92 Toyota Corolla DX automatic transmission slipping/no shift

I have a 92 Toyota Corolla DX, 1.6Ltr transaxle with 3 speed automatic transmission.
There is an intermittent problem with the transmission that does not happen all the time. It usually happens at about 45MPH going up a slight hill or a steeper hill it shifts from 3rd to 2nd as it should, but instead of going into 2nd the transmission slips and transmits no power as if it was in neutral. When this happens the only thing I can do is slow down an manually shift to 1st, then the only gear that works is 1st, if I manually shift to 2nd or drive it just slips like it's in neutral. If I stop the car and put it in park then the transmission usually works properly again.

The transmission fluid looked good and was at the correct level.

I have had the car in the shop for transmission flush, but the problem remains.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is??
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-09, 06:50 AM
Group Moderator
How many miles on the car?

Old 07-04-09, 12:02 PM
It has 85,000 miles
thanks

Old 07-04-09, 08:46 PM
Group Moderator
Wow, low mileage; I was expecting you to say 200,000. My first thought was you could have a shift solenoid problem, but either way, I think you are going to need a professional diagnosis. Any good independent tranny shops in your area?

Old 07-04-09, 10:32 PM
thanks tow guy.
My mechanic has been talking to a local tranny shop but the guy is being elusive. I'm gonna phone the toyota dealer in the big city.

The local tranny guy did say it could be a band, does that sound probable to you?? I dont think so cuz the trouble is so intermittent.

My mechanic told me to do all the shifting manually and see what happens, would that tell if its band or solenoid?

Old 07-05-09, 07:08 AM
Group Moderator
I'll print out the description of your problem and try to run it by my favorite tranny guy on Monday. Your local tranny guy is probably being elusive because many tranny problems can be hard to diagnose and he doesn't want to get caught with a customer saying, "But you SAID it was ____________ and would cost _____________". Unless the Toy dealer knows of a particular issue with the same symptoms, they probably won't hazard much of a guess either.

Old 07-05-09, 08:22 AM
Ok good.
You said it might be shift solenoid problem. I dont know what a shift solenoid is. Is it powered by electricity like a starter solenoid? How does a shift solenoid work?

Old 07-06-09, 05:51 AM
Group Moderator
This is better than I could explain:

YouTube - Automotive Transmission Shift Solenoid

Old 07-06-09, 09:24 PM
Hi Tow Guy
I cannot do YouTube at all, I am on 28.8 dial up out here in the woods, words and pictures is about all I can handle.
However:
I do have software that allowed me to download and save that video which took about half an hour. I will study it closely.
I also got 4l60e Transmission shift solenoid replacement video.
Since the problem occurs infrequently should I look for poor connection of solenoid power and/or ground wire??

thanks

Last edited by mycar; 07-06-09 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-07-09, 06:02 AM
Group Moderator
I'm already beyond where I can give you good advice on tranny work. The shift solenoid angle may be completely wrong. I currently have an intermittent problem on my 4L80E where I occasionally lose 4th gear, but it comes back after recycling the key. Pretty sure that's going to be a faulty electrical connection somewhere in the chasis harness. As to your problem I would only be taking a wild guess.

Was hoping a more tranny-knowledgeable member here would speak up.

Old 07-07-09, 02:06 PM
Ok
Talk to your tranny guy, maybe he has ideas for me.

thanks for helping, I have learned allot from you.