Can I start my car without the starter?

Old 07-04-09, 07:10 AM
Can I start my car without the starter?

If my starter were to go out, could I start my car, a 1992 Honda Accord manual transmission, by having it pulled or if I were going down a hill and then turning the key on and placing in gear?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-09, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
Yes...most people use second gear. Get the car moving with the clutch in and ignition on, at about 15mph pop the clutch and it will normally start.

I've done it using reverse as well, when parked nose up on a steep slope.

It's not something you want to do on a regular basis as it puts a pretty big shock on the driveline.

Old 07-04-09, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by scotty18 View Post
If my starter were to go out, could I start my car, a 1992 Honda Accord manual transmission, by having it pulled or if I were going down a hill and then turning the key on and placing in gear?

As mentioned ..Yes ....BUT.....

NEVER....EVER...UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES....Pull start a car.......when it starts, it will plow into the vehicle in front of it.....

Push Start will run away from the "Pusher", and is much safer.....
This is an emergency procedure, so as mentioned dont make a habit of it...No one in particular, .Just a pet peeve of mine....If your to cheap to buy a starter, then dont drive the car.....

Old 07-04-09, 01:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pull it downhill? <------Nope. This ----->

Old 07-04-09, 01:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why doesn't this trick work for vehicle with an auto transmission? It always made me wonder.

Old 07-04-09, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
Why doesn't this trick work for vehicle with an auto transmission? It always made me wonder.
The car/light truck automatic transmission only have one pump which it is in the front of the transmission and it need engine power to run the pump that why 99% of light truck / car automatic do not push start at all due there is no hydrallic pressure to push the clutch pack in when the engine is off.

very few semi truck do have dual pumps it can be push started due have both pumps in input and output shaft.

One of my service truck have hevey duty Allison automatic and yes it can be push start due dual pump set up { a very old automatic set up most modern one are single pump set up }

Merci,Marc

Search this Thread