96 Jeep Grand cherokee rear rotors wont come off?

Old 07-04-09, 03:12 PM
96 Jeep Grand cherokee rear rotors wont come off?

I'm trying to change the rear rotor on my Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 L. I took off the caliper, brake pads and I still cannot get the rotor to come off. Is there anything else that connects the rotor like emergency brake, bolt, etc.

I've added a link to some pictures- Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

It seems like the rotor and the cylinder that is in the middle moves in and out about a 1/8 inch together. Shouldn't the rotor and the center piece move separately?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-09, 04:05 PM
Check this out! Says there are bolts in the hub.
YouTube - How to Replace Rear Brake Pads : Removing the Rotors
Sorry after looking at your pictures it does not look the same as yours.
I will Google some more.
Ok, another place I saw says there is only one phillips head bolt holding the plate on. Wire bruch off the rust and see if there is one or 2 bolts.
Another place talked about 2 different kinds of emergency brakes (parking brake) and ways to loosen or remove them.

Old 07-04-09, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the help- Yeah I saw that video. It's different than what I have. I have 5 lug nuts! I've searched every where!

Old 07-04-09, 04:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It could be that a previous owner loctited the rotor on. One car I had, the (insert expletive here) loctited the lug nuts. Or it could be rusted on and a few taps with a hammer may loosen it.

Old 07-04-09, 05:04 PM
It was only owned by my father before me, so unless the repair shop loctited it together my father didnt. I've hit it a lot and it doesnt seem to loosen it at all

Old 07-04-09, 08:42 PM
Find the adjuster slot and Back off the parking brake......Your getting hung up on the shoes.....Once the shoes are clear of the "WEAR LIP" a few good shots with a hammer will get them off.

Old 07-04-09, 09:05 PM
Unclediezel- I can't figure out how to adjust the parking brake. Where would I find the adjuster slot? What is in this slot- a bolt, screw, etc? I think that your completely right that the parking brakes are stuck on the lip.

Shouldn't my rotor be able to rotate when the brake pads are off? People keep telling me to pound the rotor then turn it a little bit and pound again and turn it some more and so fourth. I can't turn the rotor at all? Does this mean that the parking brake is stuck on? Any help would be great- Thank you so much!!- Mike

Old 07-04-09, 09:28 PM
nap
not sure there is an adjuster for the parking brake in the drum portion and yes, if you cannot turn the rotor with the caliper off, the parking brake is "on".

I cannot tell by looking at the actuator lever (where the cable hooks on it) if it is pulled at all or not. Try taking a hammer and tapping, maybe even hard tapping, on the lever, away from the direction of the cable to see if the parking brake lever seized.

I would also try to remove the cable from the lever all together. What has happened a lot in my area is people will not use the parking brake for years and then for some reason, somebody applies it and it is stuck on. That is usually because the cable is rusted and will not allow the tension to be released. Removing the cable from the actuating lever will remedy that, at least to be able to remove the rotor.

There really should be no wear ridges unless somebody used the parking brake a lot when the car was moving. It recieves very little use.

So, once you get the parking brake released, if you cannot remove the rotor yet:

I can't tell if this is a composite rotor or not by the pic. A composite rotor has a thin steel center (where the lugs are) and an non-composite rotor is thicker in that area due to it is all a one piece cast unit.

IF it is a composite rotor; you take a MAPP gas torch or acetylene torch and heat that center portion (right around the lugs). Shortly you will hear a "crack" or "pop" sound (almost always). That is the rotor releasing from the axle.. Then simply remove the rotor.

If it is a non-composite rotor; heating may help but often it will require a bit of force. If you intend on replacing the rotor, a good hard whack with a 3 pound hammer from behind will generally get it off. If reusing the rotor, using something not so hard, such as placing a 2X4 against the rotor and then whacking that will usually suffice.

Old 07-04-09, 09:39 PM
Thanks Nap- When I disconnected the parking break cable it didnt move at all. I would assume that when the break is on that the cable would pull closer, and when the brake is off that the cable should be fully extended. The inside of the new rotor has a little lip which I think the the inside drums are stuck on. Shouldn't I be able to rotate the rotor? Thanks for time and help! - Mike

Old 07-05-09, 05:48 AM
In your pics, youve shown the actuator lever.....The adjuster slot is straight down from the lever towards the bottom...It will be an oval shaped slot , approx 2.5 inches across, and 1/2 inch wide.....There is a "Star Wheel" inside......(It is possible that there will be aRubber Plug in the slot..Just pop it out).

As far as the rotor turning....Is this an AWD????

In theory, if all 4 wheels were of of the ground, and the truck were in neutral, then yes the rotors "SHOULD" turn, with the brakes Unapplied...The fact that they dont, (Except in your current scenario)is of no real "Worry-Value"... Try jacking the full rear and have an assistant turn the tire on the opposite side of the truck.

Perhaps, I could have worded things a bit differently.....The ridge you have on the inside of the rotor is More caused by rust accumulation , than wear..Nap Is correct , and there really shouldnt be a Ridge on a seldom used e-Brake.....But in the "Real World-Shop environment"...everyone has a ridge of some type.

Old 07-05-09, 01:13 PM
Thanks for all of the help. I ended up just cutting the rotor off with an angle grinder. I put anti- seize stuff on the new rotor so it won't rust together again. Thanks for your help- Mike

Old 07-05-09, 01:14 PM
nap
so, what was making it hang up?

Old 07-05-09, 01:18 PM
nap
Originally Posted by Unclediezel View Post
In your pics, youve shown the actuator lever.....The adjuster slot is straight down from the lever towards the bottom...It will be an oval shaped slot , approx 2.5 inches across, and 1/2 inch wide.....There is a "Star Wheel" inside......(It is possible that there will be aRubber Plug in the slot..Just pop it out).

As far as the rotor turning....Is this an AWD????

In theory, if all 4 wheels were of of the ground, and the truck were in neutral, then yes the rotors "SHOULD" turn, with the brakes Unapplied...The fact that they dont, (Except in your current scenario)is of no real "Worry-Value"... Try jacking the full rear and have an assistant turn the tire on the opposite side of the truck.

Perhaps, I could have worded things a bit differently.....The ridge you have on the inside of the rotor is More caused by rust accumulation , than wear..Nap Is correct , and there really shouldnt be a Ridge on a seldom used e-Brake.....But in the "Real World-Shop environment"...everyone has a ridge of some type.
he would still get a rocking out of the drive line as the gears took up the slack back and forth. I took his post as the rotor would not turn at all which would indicate the rotor being locked by the parking brake.

just my take on it.

I also wonder if, based on the rust visible if the parking brake simply did not rust to the drum as it sat.

as to a star wheel on a parking brake; can't say I have ever seen such a setup. All the parking brakes I recall were adjusted by tightening the cable where the rear cables are connected to the front cable. Obviously I have not seen everything out there though.

Old 07-05-09, 04:46 PM
nap, my 02 silverado 2500 hd has discs on the rear and uses a star wheel to adjust the shoes for the parking brake. I think it is mostly so there will be a way to pull the shoes away from the drum to allow for rotor replacement.

Old 07-05-09, 05:11 PM
nap
thanks twister.

Like I said, I'VE never seen one. Doesn't mean they aren't out there. It has been awhile since I was wrenching for a living so I presume there a lot of systems out there I am not familiar with.

apparently this is one of them

Search this Thread