code 32 on 1994 nissan sentra

Old 07-05-09, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
code 32 on 1994 nissan sentra

I have a 1994 nissan sentra 1.6l and it is throwing
a code of 32.
from the best i can tell from online 32 is an egr sensor.

can someone tell me what that is and what it looks like and
how easy to replace.
thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-09, 07:29 PM
basicly in short terms its an exhaust gas recirculation valve, what it does is it controls the amount of exaust that is let out and back in the block to achieve the correct compression for the cylinders and by doing that also burns more exaust and doesnt let soo much polution in the atmosphere.

Here is a link to a picture of a common one-

http://www.focushacks.com/images/shrink_egrvalve.jpg

if its throwing a code, remove it and clean it with a milder solvent like carb cleaner and see it that does the trick. if not then replace.

hope it helps

Old 07-06-09, 04:21 PM
Yes, the EGR or "Exhaust Gas Recirculator", takes a portion of the exhaust gas from the exhaust manifold and conduct it to the intake manifold, thus its name of "recirculator".

It is done only from certain RPMs and up, not to disturb the sensitive combustion mixture at idle.

The purpose is to lower combustion temperatures to avoid the build up of nitrous oxides that only takes place at hight temperatures / high pressure conditions. Temperatures are lowered because the gas injected is an inert gas, depleted of oxygen, causing lower oxygen amounts at combustion stroke, producing lower burning temperatures.

trouble code #32 on your Sentra, means that something is wrong with that function. There is a solenoid on that valve and a temperature sensor for sensing/controlling the function, but most of the times, the fault are vacuum hoses that act on it. Check them for cracks, disconnection, etc. before replacing the valve, which rarely fails.

The exact location on your Sentra is depicted in the picture below:

http://www.technicaldomain.net/94_sentra_egr.jpg

Cheers,

Rick

Old 07-06-09, 04:23 PM
I replaced the egr valve a few months ago.
strange thing is i noticed the cel comes on after highway speeds say 45 or higher for a few miles.

thanks

Old 07-07-09, 10:02 AM
From moderate to high speeds is the range of action of the EGR. As mentioned before, it is like 99% inactive at idle, up to certain acceleration.

Since the problem is not permanent, looks like there is a problem at the moment of opening the valve.

Will check the information I have on troubleshooting it (it is a little bit technical) and will let you know.

Cheers,

Rick