Possible wheel bearing question

Old 07-07-09, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Possible wheel bearing question

Hello! Got a 95 Jetta with 223k. I think that a wheel bearing is going from the sound the car is making. This question could fit several cars I imagine. With a possible bearing going, would this make it way too easy to chirp the tires coming from a stop? My mechanic is looking at it next week due to this being a level or two above my level of incompetence. Also, I do not have a press which is needed for the project. Thank you much for any input.

Last edited by nightowlpunk; 07-07-09 at 02:06 PM. Reason: forgot a period
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-09, 04:00 PM
It can....

If you noticed, when you install brake pads, you must compress the caliper...... When you are done, you must pump the brake pedal to take up the space that you have compressed..... A "wobbling " wheel bearing tends to Compress the caliper while you are moving, which disrupts the "Proportioning" and distribution of fluid...

If this is a rear bearing , it can be explained as simply ....Bearing grease has contaminated the shoes or pads, causing the symptoms you describe...

Old 07-08-09, 01:39 PM
The brakes were done several months ago. The bearing noise started a couple weeks ago, probably drivers front wheel. It sounds close to the same sound when the passenger side front bearing was going when it went bad

Old 07-08-09, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by nightowlpunk View Post
The brakes were done several months ago. The bearing noise started a couple weeks ago, probably drivers front wheel. It sounds close to the same sound when the passenger side front bearing was going when it went bad

Ok ..But I didnt ask when the brakes were done last, nor did I imply that brakes were causing your Issue

Old 07-09-09, 10:27 AM
The caliper was compressed and after pads were installed and calipers were bolted back in I did pump the brakes to get pedal back. Two or three months ago, I changed the master cylinder with help, all four wheels were bled out.

Old 07-09-09, 06:28 PM
Your still missing the point.......

A bad bearing will "Wobble" .....That wobble will "Compress" the caliper, and fluid transfer will be disrupted.......

"The same Scenario as how you must pump your brakes after compressing a caliper", Whether you do it during a pad change, or a bad bearing does it when it fails, your still left with a compressed caliper that must be pumped up .

Old 07-10-09, 04:33 PM
No wobble yet, just the noise. Do not need it to fail at 75mph.

Old 07-16-09, 04:27 PM
Noise

If you have had a bearing failure in the past and the noise is similar you might on the right track. If you drive the car SLOWLY and open the drivers door and listen you can get a feeling for the origin of the sound. Also if you drive the car down an alley passing closely to a wall with an opened window you will hear the sound from that side of the car amplified as it will echo off the wall. The front wheels have 2 bearings so if it's a front bearing the sound will change during a quick turn of the steering wheel causing the load change on the bearing assy. You can also jack each front wheel up off the ground and rotate the wheel assy and sometimes a bearing can be heard doing that.
Bill

Old 07-17-09, 02:59 PM
Car went into the shop yesterday. LF bearing replaced, Noise is gone.