Charging system, not alternator? 96 Merc Sable

Old 07-07-09, 03:17 PM
Charging system, not alternator? 96 Merc Sable

Hello,
I have a '96 Merc Sable.

The battery light came on and would dim/flicker while driving.

I know the alternator isn't charging battery and the car dies when battery is disconnected. (shouldn't it keep running off the alternator?)

The alternator and battery tested ok. I replaced the alternator with a used one and now with the car running the
battery light is dim and will flicker to on. I didn't run it for very long. Still dies when disconnecting the battery.

What do I try/test/do next?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-09, 03:25 PM
Disconnecting the battery to check an alternator hasnt been an approved method since 1969 when electronic regulators were introduced.......And although it may work, it isnt conclusive...and Will never work on a Ford Product. In rare cases, it has been known to cause Instant demise of an Alternator as well as "Spontaneous Combustion"...Ive seen my share of "Unloaded" Alternators Burst into Flames....

Now.. Having said that, Was the alternator checked ON or OFF of the car?....Ford has a problem with Connectors, and burnt harness can easily cause your issue, even though the unit "BENCH TESTED" acceptably.

Old 07-07-09, 03:36 PM
Never seen one burst into flames diesel, have seen the smoke escape from more than one during the battery cable test.

Old 07-07-09, 03:48 PM
Ive been with Chrysler too long...so I dont really know for sure if they still do , But back in the day when you bought an alternator for a ford, there was a Wiring "Pigtail" included in the box...The connectors would get soft and melt, and the alternators would "LIGHT UP"..... From being unloaded....Slim shot that disconnecting the cable will produce the same results, but UNLOADED IS UNLOADED, which makes it a distinct Possibilty.

65 MPH on the interstate, with your family, and pets in the car, does not make for the perfect Vacation Road Trip, when you see the flames come out of the Hood seams

Old 07-07-09, 07:48 PM
It was tested off the car.

The alternator/battery fuses are okay. No crispy wires we've been able to find so far.