Venture tie rod help

Old 07-07-09, 06:22 PM
Venture tie rod help

I have a 2002 chevy venture that I took to the shop and they said both of the outer tie rods were bad and showed me all the play in them. Anyways, I decided to attempt myself. The one side I tried to take off and loosened the nut that is backed up to the tie rod end and it broke free. I tried to loosen the nut on the end of the ball stud and I was able to get it off most of the way and then the ball and stud move. I put vise grips on it and can get it most of the way off before it bottoms out on the grips but it it is real tight. Any thoughts on how to get it off the rest of the way. The other side I was able to get completely off. I didn't even need a separator or anything the tie rod stud just popped right out. Anyways, once I get the new ones on how do you properly set the toe in. I had a few other shops do the tierods on my other vehicles and it seems they never do a full blown alignment. The receipts say they adjusted the toe in. I would like to at least do this. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-09, 07:54 PM
The toe on your van should be 0 to1/8th inch out. Without a tire scribe all you can do is get close, then drive to the alignment shop for the final set up. The toe needs to be correct or you will suffer premature tire wear, so that part is best left to a shop.

Old 07-08-09, 03:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
use a large pair of channel locks and clamp around tie rod end and steering knuckle and push stud back up into tapered hole. Hole pliers and turn nut, Should come off, if not may have to cut nut off tie rod. Ditto on getting aligned after you install ends.

Old 07-08-09, 07:42 AM
toe in

The usual thing to do is count the turns as you unscrew the old tie rod end from the tie rod. Then screw the new one on the same number of turns. This will get you close, then with a ice pick or similar tool scribe a line around both tires near the center of the tread,then lower the vehicle to the ground and measure between the lines at 3 oclock and 9 oclock (this can be hard to do without a gauge)

Old 07-08-09, 07:59 AM
The problem Ive found with that Wrench, is that unless you are using "Factory parts", the aftermarket tolerances can be VERY different... Sometimes to the point of making the car "Undriveable".....That is not to say that the aftermarket parts are not direct replacements, but they are definitely designed differently....

As far as getting the tie rods off of the car......If you didnt have to "Beat It Out", something is wrong......Look carefully at the holes in the knuckle.....ANY SLIGHT "EGG" OR IMPERFECTION IN THE KNUCKLE IS GROUNDS FOR REPLACEMENT.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this stage , why do you care about the old ones??? Grab a hacksaw and chop the nuts off if they wont come out by themselves.

Old 07-08-09, 07:44 PM
Tie rods

Unc, you seem to have ignored my second sentence which takes care of all that.

Old 07-08-09, 08:14 PM
Originally Posted by retired wrench View Post
Unc, you seem to have ignored my second sentence which takes care of all that.
No, I do understand your point, But the second sentence will only correct overall toe, not steer ahead. especially in a rack and pinion equipped vehicle , with a physical "Return To Center" tendency.