1991 Buick Park Ave Code 41

Old 07-09-09, 05:56 PM
Smile 1991 Buick Park Ave Code 41

My car has a Code 41 fault which is a cam sensor signal fault. I have checked the wiring, and it checks out good. I replaced the cam sensor and it still has the fault. I even replaced it with another new cam sensor. The car has 174,000 miles on it. I read where someone said that most of the time the camshaft magnet falls off. It seems to be located on the camshaft sprocket. If so, can the magnet be replaced through the opening where the camshaft senor is located? Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-09, 06:22 PM
Nope... The timing cover has to come off....

There are 2 variations of cam magnets, One is bolted to the cam gear, the other is a plastic sleeve that snaps into a hole in the gear.

What is the eigth digit of your VIN number......L is bolt on, anything else is pressed in

One precaution.......The bolts that hold the cam gear on are 2 different sizes to accomodate the sensor bracket, ....Make sure they go back where you took them out from....If you mix them up, they will hit the inner edge of the block , and make a horrific mess...

Old 07-09-09, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the info! Do you agree with the possibility of the magnet falling off? Also, do you know what kind of problems this has on the car. It seems to run fine.

Old 07-09-09, 06:51 PM
Agree with the magnet falling off......ABSOLUTELY....

Effects...... ????? Um.....In laymans terms....You have a Sequential Firing fuel injection system..... What this means, is each injector will fire individually, based upon which cylinder is on intake stroke. Without a cam signal, it has no way of determining Piston position, so it reverts to "ASYNCHRONOUS" fire, which pulses 3 injectors at a predetermined time, and the other 3 at 180 degrees later. Power is reduced, Fuel economy is reduced, and it may become increasingly harder to start.

As far as the magnet itself, One of three things will happen, It will get ground up in the timing chain and fall harmlessly out of the way, it will miss the chain, and roll harmlessly around the bottom of your oilpan, Or..it will lodge itself in the chain teeth, and break the chain......If the last one hasnt happened yet, it probably wont, and since you said it runs, forget I mentioned it.

As Ive mentioned to others, in other posts....The choice to fix it is yours, BUT......Consider this..... Money is not an issue, simply because if you save the money by not fixing it, you will be spending that same money at the Pump.....It will find a way to leave your wallet either way.

Old 07-09-09, 06:56 PM
Thanks! And have a great evening!

Old 07-28-09, 06:45 PM
This is definitely not a quick reply, but I found out that my 3.8 engine has a plastic camshaft magnet. Through the camshaft sensor opening I noticed that the plasitic piece was broken and did not see the magnet. You already mentioned that the timing cover has to come off to replace it. Is there any possible way of inserting the magnet from underneath the engine with the oil pan removed? Thanks!

Old 07-28-09, 07:37 PM
No.....

AND....Why would you want to take down the pan instead of the timing cover??????

It looks much more intimidating than it actually is....

Old 07-30-09, 06:25 PM
For me it would be easier, if I could install the magnet from underneath the car. I have pulled an oil pan before from a 1991 Buick 3.8 engine without having to remove the engine. And it was a lot less work than what I am about to get involved in. At least to me it seems like alot of less work!

Old 07-30-09, 07:50 PM
You cant reach it from the bottom,

Now , just a personal opinion, but if you can remove a pan, you can pull the cover,

Me thinks you overthinks this